best venue & city

remind me again why div. II/III programs are not worthy of performing in the stadium?? I think they deserve the same as Div I.

ps thank you madison for putting everyone on the same field next year!!! great call!!!

So do I, but lately DCI hasn't done a real good job with that...next year being a nice exception (finally) to that...so that was the logic I used when replying.

Believe me, I think Div II/III should have every chance to perform at the same venue as Division I...if anything, they should also remove the restrictions from competing against the Open class corps during the week. I imagine Blue Stars would have done quite well if that were the case. :)

No slight intended.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCI is so committed to having shows in Indy and San Antonio, why couldn't they put Finals in Minneapolis, in the Rollerdome? ($1 to Mike Ditka)

Because the Metrodome has acoustics on par with a giant tin can. Really, any performing marching ensemble in that stadium sounds like a giant wash of sound without any clarity whatsoever. Trust me on this...it sucks for the Twins, it sucks for marching bands, and it would suck for drum corps.

if there was a stadium worthy - I'd say Minneapolis but...  :(

As much as I would LOVE to have DCI Finals here in my hometown, you're right: there's really no worthy stadium here. Now, if the Minnesota legislature would ever get off its collective butt and decide to build the Gophers an on-campus stadium, then maybe there's a chance. Everything else about this town would make it a great option for hosting Finals.

remind me again why div. II/III programs are not worthy of performing in the stadium?? I think they deserve the same as Div I.

ps thank you madison for putting everyone on the same field next year!!! great call!!!

It's not an issue of worthiness.

The Div 2/3 directors ASKED for a seperate performance venue and schedule, because in their minds, it was preferrable to perform in a smaller stadium that could be filled to capacity rather than perform in a giant stadium that was mostly empty.

One benefit is that the D2/3 corps got the benefit of longer rehearsals during finals week.

Additionally, fewer corps performing at a place like Foxboro or Orlando means that the field won't get torn up was much, meaning that DCI doesn't have to pay as much for the damages.

weak...they still should be on the same field. go to stadiums with arti-turf...

anyhoo check out the bottom pic here...notice the poster in teh backround... look and see

but yeah i third the chicago idea. solider field is awesome and they could put Div. II/III at Northewestern which has nice facilities and is less the 20 mins away from Div. I

Edited by BlueStarsBari

Thankyou! We seem to be in the minority so far.

Nashville would be great, but it's not going to happen. Two words -- "Bud Adams" -- owner of the Titans.

DCI was considering the site a few year back, but Bud has total control of the stadium and would not agree.

At least we have "Masters" for now in the Boro.

The Seahawks place is incredible-- GO SHAWN ALEXANDER!!!!!-- But I don't know if DCI would get the attendance they want up there.

You'd be surprised actually. When we played there last year, it was only us, BD, SCV, Oregon Crusaders, Spokane Thunder, and SCVC....I think that's it at least. We had the place pretty well filled.

Seattle has a lot of Cascades vets, but also there used to be A LOT of corps from the Northwest - Marauders, Imperials, Thunderbirds to name a few. Plus the activity is really spreading in the PNW, lots of new corps popping up. I really think it would draw lots of people.

Oh, and how many people flew in or out of Boston this year??? Anyways, would love it up there. Good times.

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic. 

DCI finals being held somewhere other than North America would not be reasonable.  There's the time to travel, the cost of travelling, and then the getting used to the time difference.  The Euros get a treat once every few years or so when a DCI corps goes over there, like BD this year or Glassmen next year.  They'll have to settle for that unless they can make it over here.

Oh, and if we could avoid going to Florida again, that would be great.  Nobody wants to be in Florida in the summertime, especially when hurricane season is about to kick into high gear.  No offense to Florida... I love wintering there!

Yes, it was said tongue in cheek. Today in Mass, it's about 75-80 degrees , clear skies and not humid at all. Wish it was this weather last week for DCI Finals week.. It didn't rain last week, but it was very humid, and muggy in Foxboro......Florida is only good in the winter. Forget Florida in August for DCI Finals. That's a non starter with me.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect