BD '06

What BD tunes from the past would make a great show for 2006?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What BD tunes from the past would make a great show for 2006?

• As Time Goes By
    • Channel One Suite
    • Chick Corea Suite
    • Commencement
    • Conquistador
    • Cuban Fire Suite
    • La Fiesta
    • Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor
    • Spanish Heart
    • West Side Story
    • Other

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way BD will get into the "way-back" machine as far as playing older selections.

The best we can hope for is a limited use of narration, and a show concept that flows better.

There's no doubt that Wayne Downey still has it...one need only compare the recently played "Awayday" to the original chart an sit there slack-jawed in how close they match up.

However, with all the "inspired by" and "snippets of" in the past few years, I don't forsee them changing the formula too much...which is show concept first, music secondary, and in some instances tertiary to it.

I'd like to be pleasantly suprised, but given past trends, I just don't see it happening.

Edited by bawker

2005: Dance Derby of the Century

2006: Kentucky Derby of the Century

A musical and visual look at great Kentucky Derby horse races, complete with "And down the stretch they come!!!!!" narration.

Be sure to listen for the recurring theme of the "Call to the Post" played by a variety of instruments.

You're sure to be captivated by the horn line's visual program, which will consist of the horn players marching around and around in an oval pattern, as if they are "racing" around the Churchill Downs track.

Listen in delight to the haunting ballad, "My Old Kentucky Home."

And of course, what day at the races would be complete without the amplified sounds of horses' hooves "thundering down the stretch?"

Fran

I still don't understand why people want corps to play music they've played already so badly. Then you all foam at the mouth when a corps actually DOES do it.

Heh, true.

However, it would be cool to see BD use some of these "old school" charts as part of their "encore" performances next year. I think that would be a compromise most of us would like.