Has the art of the ending been forgotten?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 05 there are a number of shows I really like, but I can't think of any corps with a fanastic musical ending. Cadets is sudden but works in the context of the show,  Cavies is.. well... a cavies ending (love the visual and the excellence side of things but have they ever had a blow-us-all-away ending?). PR this year had a great show but imo the weakest portion was the last 30 seconds, same with madison, BD…

Who knows maybe next year you'll get goosebumps from tons of shows at finals. It could just be this year.

but AMEN to the Phantom Regiment 2003

A lot of you guys have been talking about an ending building up to a release -- that's really the key.

I kept seeing "tag" endings this year where the closing number would just kinda stop, change gears, and everyone would run around in some crazy drill while playing a few loud chords. Cripes, it was the same stuff. Half of the corps could have used each other's endings and nobody would have cared.

The good *power* endings are the ones that have had minutes of buildup. Madison '97 started "ending" during the swordfight on the rack and just kept screaming along; '88 started partway through the Malegueña drum solo. You could see the finish coming from a mile away, and at the same time, you wanted to watch the whole thing.

Fast movement, loud chords, flying flags, and split drumheads do not guarantee an interesting ending, though. There's much more to it.

A lot of you guys have been talking about an ending building up to a release -- that's really the key.

I kept seeing "tag" endings this year where the closing number would just kinda stop, change gears, and everyone would run around in some crazy drill while playing a few loud chords.  Cripes, it was the same stuff.  Half of the corps could have used each other's endings and nobody would have cared.

The good *power* endings are the ones that have had minutes of buildup.  Madison '97 started "ending" during the swordfight on the rack and just kept screaming along; '88 started partway through the Malegueña drum solo.  You could see the finish coming from a mile away, and at the same time, you wanted to watch the whole thing.

Fast movement, loud chords, flying flags, and split drumheads do not guarantee an interesting ending, though.  There's much more to it.

That's it exactly. When you watching the whole package then a lot of show's have enoughtinterest in the overall package to compensate, but from the perpective of just listening and having an ending that has caused you to leave handprints in the steering wheel and sent you 50 mph over the speed limit without realising - I think that aspect has been squeezed out of shows in recent years.

By hook or by crook...I just want goosebumps at the end of a show. Always have, always will!!

To throw a couple pennies in...

I was in the upper deck for Madison 97, the place was going friggin' bananas. You had the huge chord that got louder, then LOUDER, THEN the pictures.... and it wasn't over yet... still another drill move and musical phrase. The place was bedlam.

I picked up the '03 DVD at finals, watch the high camera of Phantom's ending. The entire crowd LEAPS up, not at the wedge, but at the fold into the wedge. That show ending gives me chills and waters my eyes every time.

Thanks for giving me goosebumps again just thinking about both of these described so well!

Harvey

To throw a couple pennies in...

I was in the upper deck for Madison 97, the place was going friggin' bananas. You had the huge chord that got louder, then LOUDER, THEN the pictures.... and it wasn't over yet... still another drill move and musical phrase. The place was bedlam.

I picked up the '03 DVD at finals, watch the high camera of Phantom's ending. The entire crowd LEAPS up, not at the wedge, but at the fold into the wedge. That show ending gives me chills and waters my eyes every time.

Glad somebody else mentioned Madison 97.

For some reason it just doesn't come across on the recordings, but live, that was pure insanity. I was on the 10 yard line, top of the lower bowl and it made me lose my mind. I literally didn't realize for a few seconds that the person screaming and jumping on the bench was me.

Phantom '03 was an unbelievable experience, too. I had really terrible seats...about three rows from the top of the stadium, and they were the first and only corps to reach me(BD came close). I was disconnected from drum corps at the time and hadn't seen or heard anything about the show, but when they hit the wedge and played the first couple notes of the reprise, it was like being hit by lightning. I didn't think anything could get more glorious...but it just kept building right through to the end. Amazing.

But those of you complaining about "tag" endings, Phantom '03 is exactly that. Reprise of beautiful opener, then a sudden change in gears (tempo picks up a lot). Varied subtle reprise of Wild Nights, and then loud chords on out. Running around included.

I agree that endings to shows have fallen on hard times.

Some of my favorite endings:

Phantom 1993 - people went bonkers nuts. Can't believe this show hasn't been mentioned.

Phantom 2001

Crossmen 1990

Star 1990

BD 1990 (In fact, it seems like all the corps knew how to end a show in 1990)

Cavies 1991

Cadets 1984 and 1986

Out of all the DCI videos ive seen through my 72-04 DVDs.

NOTHING beats the ending of Phantom Regiment 2003. You see the guard captain crying in the end, thats just pure emotion.