Bb horns vs G Bugles. ANOTHER angle to the subject

Hold your flames! This is not intended to be what you think (i.e. a debate on why we think or don't think a horn makes "drum corps what it is"). That IS a worn out debate and one that does not need to be re-hashed any further.

What I want to talk about is another area of this subject. That area being the educational value of understanding other types of brass instruments. Sit back and relax as I begin to ramble...

In 2000 when DCI legalized the use of Bb instruments, the first thing I wanted to know was what the reason was. And I committed to myself that I would not allow my own mind to form an opinion on the issue until I knew what their reasoning was. After all, what right do I have to criticize a decision made by any organization without knowing the why. The answer was not hard to find and was publicized rather quickly in very simple terms. The nutshell reason was "it makes it easier for those in the band world to participate in drum corps". Easier? OK, I won't argue that! No really, I won't argue that one bit. But now my next question is, why make it easier if drum corps is an activity that is supposed to stretch the very best in the marching arts beyond their comfort zone and rise above all levels of mediocrity?

When I was in college at a California State University in the mid 90s, I can remember as a music major having a C Trumpet placed in my hands. I also remember an Eb trumpet being placed in my hands. My gosh, I even had a cornetto, valveless bugle, piccolo trumpet etc etc. You name it, if it was any kind of a trumpet or an instrument relative to the trumpet, I had to spend some time learning it. Thank you to a great applied trumpet teacher. Well, here is another observation. I had some very good trumpet players around me at this university. I remember one freshman trumpet player who was both friend and rival to me as a player and the one thing he struggled with was picking up these other trumpets. Oh man, I can remember sitting next to him in orchestra as he complained about having to play the C trumpet so much.

So why do I bring this up? Well, to put it bluntly. When these horns in various other keys with various different feels were placed in my hands, I personally did not struggle any more than I did with a Bb trumpet. Do I say that to puff myself up? Absolutely not. I say that because I believe very strongly that the reason I was able to adapt quickly to these other brass instruments was because at age 14 after already playing the Bb trumpet for 6 years I was handed a G bugle. I learned how to go from one to the other. And as a result, I made a higher chair than this other trumpet player who FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES WAS ACTUALLY A BETTER CLASSICAL PLAYER THAN I! This guy SHOULD have beat me in ANY classical or symphonic ensemble but to this day I believe I beat him out for one reason. I could play a trumpet pitched in any key with little to no time needed to re- adjust.

So what is my conclusion? My conclusion is, it's a shame that DCI has fully switched over to Bb. NOT...I repeat...NOT because of sentimental or traditional reasons but because I FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE believe drum corps placing a horn pitched in an unusual key to it's members was one of the most educational experiences the activity offered. Now, I feel we have simply limited our options of what we can teach our kids in the activity and have taken one more step in the direction of making drum corps an activity duped in mediocrity.

Now, to qualify further- do I mind that options would ALLOW (key word) Bb instruments in Drum Corps. Not one bit. But why not use the G bugles once and a while? Especially if a corps is doing something in the context of nostalgia. Why does a trumpet section in a n orchestra go to cornettos when playing a baroque piece? Because the sound and feel of the instrument is more authentic to the period. Why do you use a C trumpet in anything from the romantic period and following? Because the sound and feel are more authentic to the period. Why should a drum corps use a G Bugle when playing an old drum corps classic? Because the sound and feel are more authentic to the period....

...having made that last statement...picture this. The next corps who does Malaguena...whoever that is...doesn't matter. They finish the first 3 quarters of their show. They are about to do a big ending of Malaguena. So they go into total silence, walk up to the front of the field...kind of like Blue Devils did when they took their Jackets off in 1992...they put down their Bb horns that they just used in the more modern parts of their show...they pick up the G bugles...and WHAM!!!! they hit you across the face with that first hit in Malaguena. And the rest is history. Do you not get chills with that visualization?

Edited by torn8o
  • Like 1

You said what I thought you were going to say!

Did you really read the whole thing? I just posted it 30 seconds before you responded for cryin out loud. My gosh, I started proof reading it right when I first posted it and you had already responded by the time I was halfway trhough it. Did you really read ALLLLLL of it? If not, please do.

Edited by torn8o

...picture this. The next corps who does Malaguena...whoever that is...doesn't matter. They finish the first 3 quarters of their show. They are about to do a big ending of Malaguena. So they go into total silence, walk up to the front of the field...kind of like Blue Devils did when they took their Jackets of in 1992...they put down their Bb horns that they just used in the more modern parts of their show...they pick up the G bugles...and WHAM!!!! they hit you across the face with that first hit in Malaguena. And the rest is history. Do you not get chills with that visualization?

Wow. That WOULD be awesome. :blink:

But G bugles aren't illegal per se, are they? Or am I wrong on that? I thought corps could still choose, though most are choosing Bb.

You bring up an interesting point, one that I'm sure is going to be discussed at considerable length. I have only one comment though, and it refers to this sentence:

But now my next question is, why make it easier if drum corps is an activity that is supposed to stretch the very best in the marching arts beyond their comfort zone and rise above all levels of mediocrity?

Not many people, especially old-timers, will agree with you as to what the purpose of Drum and Bugle corps is. Though I'm certain it was not intended to be arrogant, that is a pretty elitist view. Drum and bugle corps originally made the performing experience accessible to the previously non-musical masses, and while I recognize that there has been some 'professionalization' in the elite corps, it is sad that we have reached a point where a move to make playing in a drum and bugle corps more attainable for young musicians is considered a bad thing.

• Like 1

I have yet to hear a Bb hornline rip my face off the way a G hornline could... this includes having performed with both, toured with some very great Bb hornlines. Sound quality is incredible for Bb as well, but my face has yet to be ripped off by one.

for definition of face rippage offage see following show:

Star 93, 91, 89

Madison 93,95, 99

Regiment Sop Entrance in Closer 89, 96 closer

BD Intro 96

Vanguard 89, 92, 98, 00

Cadets 89,90

I miss hornlines that were so loud that the percussion playing as loud as it possibly could seemed futile.

You bring up an interesting point, one that I'm sure is going to be discussed at considerable length.  I have only one comment though, and it refers to this sentence:

Not many people, especially old-timers, will agree with you as to what the purpose of Drum and Bugle corps is.  Though I'm certain it was not intended to be arrogant, that is a pretty elitist view.  Drum and bugle corps originally made the performing experience accessible to the previously non-musical masses, and while I recognize that there has been some 'professionalization' in the elite corps, it is sad that we have reached a point where a move to make playing in a drum and bugle corps more attainable for young musicians is considered a bad thing.

Then we have to agree to dissagree agreeably and respectfuly. Because I STRONGLY believe that in ANY educational activity we should be doing all we can to stretch our kids beyond their comfort zone. Kids spend enough time in their comfort zones sitting on the couch watching "Fear Factor". In an activity like drum corps, kids need a challange. Not easy attainable comfort.

Edited by torn8o

...having made that last statement...picture this. The next corps who does Malaguena...whoever that is...doesn't matter. They finish the first 3 quarters of their show. They are about to do a big ending of Malaguena. So they go into total silence, walk up to the front of the field...kind of like Blue Devils did when they took their Jackets of in 1992...they put down their Bb horns that they just used in the more modern parts of their show...they pick up the G bugles...and WHAM!!!! they hit you across the face with that first hit in Malaguena. And the rest is history. Do you not get chills with that visualization?

Cool idea.

Sadly, most corps have already gotten rid of their "G" lines, though.

Cool idea.

Sadly, most corps have already gotten rid of their "G" lines, though.

And see, I think the next step in the evolution of the activity is NOT getting rid of the G buges. BUT!!!!! Not getting rid of Bb horns either. How bout we use both based on what is appropriate musically. JJJJust like an orchestra trumpt section does with horns pitched in different keys. I mean really, to me this seems like a no brainer. Okay, maybe not financially. So kick yourself then if you got rid of your G bugles. Have some even totally destroyed them? Big mistake if the answer is yes. BIG MISTAKE!!! You know, if you have access to one, it might someday be worth something for the historical value. It's time we THINK before we do things.

Edited by torn8o