If Velvet Knights were around could you imagine...

heh.... after the person comes out in the "Cadet" uni (or the corps yells "SHUT UP!" to the narrator and he walks onto the field ticked off. Have the Jaws theme chime in and the Land Shark eat the Sax player/ narrator. Now, that'd be sweet.

Wow, I miss VK.

Nothing that DCI could do could make the hole left by VK's absence go away. They were funny, but it was much more than that...they seriously could march and play. My opinion was always that they had to be markedly better than a corps doing a typical drum corps show, just because what they were doing was so unconventional.

And yes, what the top DCI corps do is very good. But DCI desperately needs more of what VK brought to the table. An activity that is afraid to criticize and poke fun at itself is simply not as robust from a fan's perspective. And I think DCI is, at times (at least), too full of itself to notice what it's missing.

Anyway, VK: :worthy:

Wow, I miss VK.

...  An activity that is afraid to criticize and poke fun at itself is simply not as robust from a fan's perspective.  And I think DCI is, at times (at least), too full of itself to notice what it's missing.

Anyway, VK:  :worthy:

YESSSSS!! That is exactly what I learned from VK. Especially during the early 90's. It was all taken "so" seriously (and pompously if I may add), that people (including myself), were getting all uptight and stressed about placings. But, when VK performed, they were a breath of fresh air and hilariously fun. And what's so weird is, I came from the "Old School" when it WAS "totally serious" business. Go figure. Guess I just gave that up in my old age...

My opinion was always that they had to be markedly better than a corps doing a typical drum corps show, just because what they were doing was so unconventional. 

Anyway, VK:  :worthy:

Chris, you are so right. But we knew what we were getting ourselves into when we adopted the "fun corps" attitude. And every year, the staff let the members know that they may not get the scores that they thought they might earn. They were also told it wasn't worth worrying about. Go out, march and play the heck out of the show, and enjoy your time on the field. That's what it's all about in the end, isn't it?

Thanks for the props.

Garry

Oh my gosh, these ideas are just great!

What about a parody of Cavies' "Spin Cycle" from a few years ago? Have the corps do a spinning drill in the center of the field and have HUGE bras and panties come flying out of the center!

Heh heh heh.