New DCI Finals Format

Let's call Foxboro a sellout. How does it get better than that?

Ah, yes...SEMI-Finals. Here's the competitive opportunity.

Could SEMI's be held the previous weekend in a different venue with the top 17 going to the big show? Akin to the NFL playoffs held 1 week prior to the Super Bowl. High drama.

The "Big Show" is a Friday, Saturday all-division shootout in one venue.

Example:

This year it would have been Semi's in Allentown first week of August followed by DCI Finals in Foxboro the following week.

Don't make top 17 out of Allentown? You go on a separate mini-tour with the 18-24 clan. Duke it out on Monday and Tuesday at already scheduled venues. Championship held on Thursday night for ONE SPOT in the DCI Friday show. Where? Haven't figured that out yet.

Championship Format: DII & III go Friday Night at the big stadium (NOT the high school) for the Small Corps Title and the Big Corps #12-17 (plus 1 from Thursday) go right after for ONE SPOT in Saturday Night's show. Winner take all. I bet people show up for that one. Lots of people!

Then pack 'em in for Top 12 on Saturday Night. (And EVERY ticket outside the 10 yard lines goes for $10 bucks!)

Hmmm.

Bombs Away!!

Not as spirited as I hoped.

That's quite an interesting idea. However, don't a lot of corps sort of "settle in" for a couple of days of "closed rehearsal" just before finals?

During that whole proposel I didn't hear one Ca-Jing from DCI.

How many people would fly to say Madison just for the finals?

It certainly raises the cost ratio of what you pay to get there versus how much drum corps you see. While the author hoped this would be a spirited discussion, I think it's dead on arrival.

Mike

Maybe a different type of thursday format -- anyone know English football? There you have 20 teams in the top division. Each year, the last 3 in the standings get demoted, and the top 3 from the second division get promoted.

I don't know that it's healthy, but a relegation format sure as #### would make thursdays more interesting...

Maybe a different type of thursday format -- anyone know English football?  There you have 20 teams in the top division.  Each year, the last 3 in the standings get demoted, and the top 3 from the second division get promoted.

I don't know that it's healthy, but a relegation format sure as #### would make thursdays more interesting...

Throw in a Steel Cage and I'll buy a ticket