Champion + Crowd Favorite

I don't agree with that at all. Everyone loved Madison for sure, partially because we were in Madison. What home town corps doesn't get a great response? And, they had a great show, and for once the crowd was not booing when they were announced as having jumped the Blue Knights. But, when that tie was announced there was only one person in the vicinity of me that was not chanting "SCV SCV SCV". Before I switched to the legacy dvds, I had the vhs of that year and you can hear Steve speeding up his talking because of how loud the chanting was getting so they could hurry up and end the broadcast. I love Madison's show from that year, and a girl I marched with in Vanguard Cadets that year had a brother in the Scouts aging out, but I think there is no contest as to who was the favorite.

Yes, of the two corps that tied SCV was the favourite...no contest.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1999 is clearly one of those years that people really loved multiple corps and they feel strong enough about it to aggressively debate it. This is a good thing!

I think it's the kind of thing the fans hope for every year.

:P

I don't agree with that at all. Everyone loved Madison for sure, partially because we were in Madison. What home town corps doesn't get a great response? And, they had a great show, and for once the crowd was not booing when they were announced as having jumped the Blue Knights. But, when that tie was announced there was only one person in the vicinity of me that was not chanting "SCV SCV SCV". Before I switched to the legacy dvds, I had the vhs of that year and you can hear Steve speeding up his talking because of how loud the chanting was getting so they could hurry up and end the broadcast. I love Madison's show from that year, and a girl I marched with in Vanguard Cadets that year had a brother in the Scouts aging out, but I think there is no contest as to who was the favorite.

You are right, there was no contest who received the most crowd response all three nights from beginning to ed...it was the Madison Scouts. SCV and Blue Devils, especially finals night were just about even, but there was more vocal applause for Scouts than either BD or SCV. IT has nothing to do with the tie, or the score announcement, Scouts received more thunderous, longer applause, and more vocal recognition that any other corps that week.

~G~

Isn't it great to see that the top two fan favorites were the top two scorers?!!!

And 16 years later the debate still continues. Is there a another year that has such heated debate for so long as to who should have won?

1989 Phantom Regiment or Santa Clara Vanguard, anyone know? They're both highly lauded shows. I wasn't alive then :P

2002 The Cadet were getting a good crowd ESPECIALLY right before the end. They did get a pretty nice standing ovation, but it was golf claps compared to every one else.

OUCH!!!!  :o

Good heavens!  I AM old!!

man, even I felt ancient after THAT one.