Finals Week

what's up w/ those morning start times???

no one wants to be up that early in the morning watching div II and III corps. i know i don't.

i definitely agree w/ going back to the old prelims, finals, quarters format. who cares if some div. I corps don't like it?? if they suck enough to get beaten by div. II corps, then they shouldn't be the reason that all of div. II and III has to suffer such a wacky shedule.

:ramd:

:rolleyes:

ok. i'm done now.

btw, please understand that these are only my views. i'm a pretty open and vocal person. take what i say as what I mean, not as what others mean.

Edited by Gbassman5

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, they should let the div 2/3 corps do quarters, but not be counted towards the standings. While their score will be released, they won't continue on after that. This gives them an opportunity to find how they'd do in div one for an assessment, and at the same letting div 1 continue on in its merry way.

The Madison '06 schedule already lists what was "Divisional Finals" this year as just "Finals" next year, maybe that's a sign...who knows...

It's also a tentative schedule. The official one won't be in place until the 2/3 directors meet this winter (next year). So like if you have an idea for a change, CONTACT THE CORPS DIRECTORS!

Give them a proposal and I'm sure as long as it's in good taste, the director(s) will carry it with them to that meeting.

You know what, they should let the div 2/3 corps do quarters, but not be counted towards the standings. While their score will be released, they won't continue on after that. This gives them an opportunity to find how they'd do in div one for an assessment, and at the same letting div 1 continue on in its merry way.

that's actually a pretty good idea... :rolleyes:

I think that they should do prelims on monday (all Div II & III corps performing.)

Semi finals on tuesday (top 3 corps from each division and next 9 highest scores from prelims)

Finals on Wednesday night - Top 3 corps from each division and next 6 highest scores from semi's

Thursday allow any div II/III corps who is declaring for Div I the following season to compete in quarters so they can see how their current show design and performance ranks against the division I sheets so they will be better prepared for the next season as Div I.

If no Div II/III corps declare for Div I the next season then no corps move up into Div I quarterfinals.

With this you could also have the Div II/III semi's and finals later in the week, but still allow the declaring corps to compete in Open quarters as well.

My thoughts

It's a good idea, the only problem I see is that it allows for no finals week practice time, whereas Div. I would get Monday-Wednesday to rehearse, the Div. II/III would have a show all 3 days with no time in between. And...what about I&E? lol

I also like having 18 in Semi's as opposed to just 15... lol

Semi finals on tuesday (top 3 corps from each division and next 9 highest scores from prelims)

oops sorry meant next 11 scoring corps make semis which would make it 17 like div I not 15.

And if you want practice time then space out the div II/III stuff, to tuesday, Friday, Saturday. Thus allowing corps making the move to perform Thursday in quarters. The only thing is semis for Div II/III would have to be early enough to end before Semi's in Div I if a corps made top 17, either that or they could go on early in DIV II/III semi's in order to get to the Div I Semi's if they made top 17.

This would be a logistical nightmare for some corps unless the shows are held in the same stadium.

Edited by bluecoats88

Not to sound like a broken record, but if the top D2/3 corps were still allowed to advance to D1 Quarters, none of this would be an issue ... prelims on Monday or Tuesday, finals on Tuesday or Wednesday, and Quarters on Thursday ... it worked fine for quite a few years.

I agree.... a few other things are bad about the current schedule. At Div 1 Quarterfinals I was sitting beside parents who had 2 kids in a Div 1 corps and 1 kid in a Div 2 Corps. They could not watch their son's Div II Finals performance.

If I was marching and Grand finals was in the morning, I would hate it. A couple of years ago we went and it was awful - not very exciting and very anti-climatical. I think I would much prefer the privilege of marching under the lights at the stadium with the "big boys".

Thursday allow any div II/III corps who is declaring for Div I the following season to compete in quarters so they can see how their current show design and performance ranks against the division I sheets so they will be better prepared for the next season as Div I.

Why not just go ahead and let the top however many corps advance to D1 Quarters regardless? Then just don't count them when it comes to monetary payouts the following season if they don't decide to move up.