We Used to....

Do standstills...NY - PennChampionships had a standstill Championship and since our corps was doing a field show, the Sledge Cadets (hehehehehe) St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres would win that. Our corps would faceoff against the Lakeview Shoreliners. One year St. Johnsburg did a "field show" remember that Sledge? They played "Stairway to Heaven and "The Sounds of Philadelphia" TSOP. Quite a repetoire.

Parades, parades, parades......The night of the "A" Class Finals for the NT Open in 1976 had us marching a parade for like 4 miles, upon finishing we walked single file from the end of the parade to our rehearsal site at the grocery store and then single file with complete silence back to the stadium where we beat the Krescendos and Simplex Minutemen to win the "A" Class title. Remember those firemen parades, NYS Legion Convention, etc.

The BIG trip to Illinois to compete against the Cavaliers, CapitolAires, Des Plaines Vanguard, Emerald Knights and not being able to make it to a show in Iowa because one bus was broke.

Those were the days!\

Do standstills...NY - PennChampionships had a standstill Championship and since our corps was doing a field show, the Sledge Cadets (hehehehehe) St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres would win that.  Our corps would faceoff against the Lakeview Shoreliners.  One year St. Johnsburg did a "field show" remember that Sledge?  They played "Stairway to Heaven and "The Sounds of Philadelphia" TSOP.  Quite a repetoire.

Parades, parades, parades......The night of the "A" Class Finals for the NT Open in 1976 had us marching a parade for like 4 miles, upon finishing we walked single file from the end of the parade to our rehearsal site at the grocery store and then single file with complete silence back to the stadium where we beat the Krescendos and Simplex Minutemen to win the "A" Class title.  Remember those firemen parades, NYS Legion Convention, etc.

The BIG trip to Illinois to compete against the Cavaliers, CapitolAires, Des Plaines Vanguard, Emerald Knights and not being able to make it to a show in Iowa because one bus was broke.

Those were the days!\

"Standstills"

We did "Standstills" at Carnagie Hall, Symphony Hall (Newark NJ) and the Boston Garden. We also did 'standstills' New Haven & Bridgeport CT, Jersey City NJ, and New Britian CT.

There were numerouse competitive 'standstills' all over the Mid West & East Coast "Back Then", as well as more parades than you could shake a plume at.

Elphaba

Do corps still do standstills?

Man when I was with Kingsmen we would do standstills at the drop of a hat. It's funny, I can remember so many time walking around what ever town we were in, finding some locals to hang with and than dragging them back to watch us do a standstill. I think out of allthose years our standstills were some of the best performances we ever did.

My favorite standstills with SCV were for the alumni who were keeping tabs to make sure we were doing alright. I remember the first time we unvailed, "Die Gotterdamerung" in 74 and used the cymbals as a muting device, to give the french horns that sound of distance Wagner demanded, and the reaction we received - we were just fine.

Edited by Tansea

Our first few trips to the US Open we stayed in Mount Vernon, OH and gave the town a standstill concert. I felt like I was in Mayberry. We stayed at the Elks club and had a great time.

Our first few trips to the US Open we stayed in Mount Vernon, OH and gave the town a standstill concert.  I felt like I was in Mayberry.  We stayed at the Elks club and had a great time.

We, Dutch Boy Cadets, did a standstill for the people of Mount Gilead Ohio, 20 minutes from Marion in 76. We were given the key to the town and we announced

ourselves as being from KitchenerWaterloo, Ontario and Mount Gilead Ohio, the crowd went nuts!! b**bs b**bs :rolleyes::rolleyes: b**bs b**bs

What a great little town !! ^OO^ ^OO^

Edited by ODBC

When I was in the Charioteers (1971-1975), we would compete at the U.S. Open in Marion, OH every year. We were always housed at the Church of God in a bucolic Marion neighborhood. As we rolled into town each year, every yard in the neighborhood would have a fairly elarborate homemade sign welcoming us back and proclaiming the Charioteers as the next Class A Champions. Then, there would be a constant stream of neighbors through the church basement bringing home baked goods of an unbelievable variety and other food items. As a gesture of thanks, we always arc'ed up in the street outside a chosen neighbor's house and did a standstill every year for the neighborhood residents and they were always very enthusiastic in thier response to our performance. Good times, heart warming memories! :rolleyes::rolleyes: