2005 Individual DVD's

Of course, my initial reaction on hearing about all of this is ... considering all of the sources that DCI corps apparently *CAN* get permission from (incl. Bjork,  Sarah MacLachlan, le Cirque du Soleil, "Wicked," and even other modern composers like Joseph Curiale), what makes whomever holds the copyrights to Stephen Melillo's music think that *HE* is so special?  Maybe I'm being unfair and maybe I don't understand the issue, but that's the first thought I had.

I believe Melillo self-publishes, and therefore holds his own copyrights.  Not quite sure, though.  I will say this -- I've had to purchase scores and reference recordings from this guy, and his prices are fairly ridiculous.  Check out his site -- I think it kind of gives a little insight into the person himself.

http://www.stormworld.com/

This is correct. I have dealt with marching band that have performed his work. His work is a little expensive, at least its not as expensive as score and parts for Lord of the Rings - 500-700 dollars. Anyways, the last I heard, which was this past winter, it was 3000 to get the rights for arranging and performing the arrangement of his music. I guess you have to charge that much when you are a self-publisher.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he seems to be a very odd person, but a great composer, nonetheless. In high school, we played 'Stormworks' for our concert and sightreading competition. Well, the people in charge of the music festival would sell recordings of the shows to its members. I remember them talking about how they almost didn't get it on the CD because of his copyright issues. He didn't want our recording to be shared and distributed. He only wanted his original copy out there.

The prices for his materials are a little high. I remember the full score set for 'Stormworks' was expensive. We were very careful when making copies of the music and even had a special place for the originals. I remember the score being huge.

Cavies weren't shown in their entirety last year, either.

The last time ANY show was shown in full length on the broadcast was 2001, when it was live!! Oh how I miss the days of Brandt Crocker yelling, "we're going live to PBS" and the crowd would go nuts...and start throwing beach balls!!!! b**bs :rolleyes: b**bs :rolleyes:

Yeah, he seems to be a very odd person, but a great composer, nonetheless.

Hmmmmm ... I don't know about "great," from what I've heard of it. I'd give him more like a "fairly decent." B)

there are many moder composers that wont pass up there copyrights. That's probably why no one has ever done a Star Wars show... John Williams is hard to get music from, and to be able to publicize (sp) outside of the movies.

My band played Dual of Fates in 2003... I'm still trying to figure out how that happened.

Lots of corps have played John Williams music over the years. A big chunk of Mandarins' music in 2000 was from "Episode I." And check out the 1986 Star of Indiana (although, yes, I realize a lot has changed since then when it comes to obtaining permission to arrange).

Edited by Orpheus

As a marching member(well i actually stood and played) i was under the impression that the situation was taken care of and I am kind of confused right now.  So I am clueless.  Just to let you know.

I think we were all under that impression.

Please FIO DCI!!! :(

Seems like I paid at least that when I ordered individual VHS tapes back in the 80s.

But, when you can pay $98 for the top 12, why would anyone pay $29 for only one?  Of course, back when I was a member, I couldn't have afforded $98...but I could afford $29 possibly.

VHS are waay more expensive and harder to make back then ( for instance 100 cds costs 1/8 the price of 100 VHS)

Also the way they make DVD's these days is incredibly fast.

I have a question. I downloaded every apd available this summer, including Oregon Crusaders. According to the program book this year, their opener was a Stephen Melillo piece "Festival of Light"

Did they change this piece of music or is it the actual opener from their show. How is it that this piece is able to be downloaded and not the Bluecoats?