The Average DCA Fan who goes to Finals

Pretty good thread but perhaps, over analyzed? Maybe get to the root cause being.. most people have absolutely no clue what drum corps is. For example.. going to my 20yr class reunion.. and talking of corps, only band folks would know what it is. Or some others when you mention drum corps, will bring up the movie drumline (and then you have to explain exactly how cheesey it is compared to reality!!) If I had a quarter for every time...

In any case, an idea that maybe helps is off season performances, for example, I played with the Brigs at a winter solstice concert held in the cathedral, where the drumline came out and played with a track, a chorus and lead singer, bottom line kind of adding corps to pop.. we wow'ed the crowd, even the school kids were running around trying to get our autographs before they did their performances! wierd eh? Hopefully some impressions were made on them and the audience and perhaps future fans/members.

To sum it up, its just marketing. also, i think as long as there are members there will be fans (families, relatives, friends). Thats who the fans are, for the most part, past members too.

Put together more performances locally as above.. hmmm which brings up another point, it's not a local sport anymore, more like a free agency.. which has kinda turned me off to the whole thing, so now your local fans may or may not even know who the members or are they from the next town 50, 200 miles away. It works for football, I dont know about this though. If you were being paid to perform, that would of course change the argument altogether. Just my .02, and I wont mention the BS politics, oops I just did :sshh:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

actually Liz, we forgot something.

the average DCA fan may also be these folks:

you have the NY folks who dont come to Pa but will go to NY...and the PA folks who wont go to NY but will go to PA.

thats gotta factor in there too

Put together more performances locally as above.. hmmm which brings up another point, it's not a local sport anymore, more like a free agency..  which has kinda turned me off to the whole thing, so now your local fans may or may not even know who the members or are they from the next town 50, 200 miles away.  It works for football, I dont know about this though.  If you were being paid to perform, that would of course change the argument altogether.  Just my .02, and I wont mention the BS politics, oops I just did  :sshh:

This is true for us. Everytime I explain the activity to someone new they ask where they can see us. And of course my reply is.. well we're in Orlando next week or perhaps you can come down to GA or the really close show is in Northern PA.

I am not sure how much my 2 cents will be worth, but since you are wanting to know about DCA's "average fan"... and I will start by saying I am not your average fan, as I only recently heard of DCA (somewhat because I am from the south and we don't get much exposure here), but I have been a DCI fan for years and absolutely crave the shows and attend as many as possible in the area.

My exposure to DCA has come through my joining the Music City Legend, a new Class A corps out of Nashville. It has been a big commitment, but one that I feel has been worthwhile. Now keep in mind that I have not seen (or particiapted) a DCA championships yet, and so I have no idea what to expect. I hope it is everything that everyone is hyping, because if so, I can't wait.

In my humble opinion (and somewhat of an uneducated, but fresh perspective)... it is not so much about what part of the country the DCA championships are in, but more of having adequate facilities and activities to grow the activity. I think we (the performers and fans) all know we are going to have to travel during the year.

However, one of the things that bothers me is that here in the South (and I can really respect the west coast corps in this matter) we don't have the venues to give us the exposure (and therefore we are at somewhat of a disadvantage from the get-go in trying to build a new corps). We don't have the corps finances; nor the time to travel 12 hours on a normal weekend to get in front of the DCA judges and establish any kind of familiarity to what we are doing.

The only option for Music City Legend to compete during August was DCA South in Orlando (over 12 hours away), and from my understanding the scores in August determine order of performance in prelims. On top of that, this year we have really only been in front of DCA judges one time in Rockmart.

I guess I feel that what DCA needs to focus on to grow the activity is:

1. find some venues outside of the northeast and get some of the top DCA corps there to build a fan base... particularly in August... this is your stepping stone to moving the championships out of the northeast, and also building some mid-west and southern corps that can compete with the "big dogs" of the Northeast. Maybe even work with DCI and try to stage 2 part shows leveraging the same venue until DCA gets better established in these areas. I realize there are some geographical advantages in the Northeast because of the number of people, close proximity to corps, etc... but until these corps are willing to come out of that area a little more, then DCA will continue to be kept a "secret".

2. and in the meantime, find a better facility in the Northeast where the championships can themselves grow... my understanding is that the number of DCA corps is on the rise and they are getting better... it seems to me this is the time to capitalize on that.

Like I said, I am a novice to all of this, but I do believe that there is a transitional compromise that will help the activity as a whole. The Winston-Salem show was a good first step. But we need more opportunities.

And I do agree that if they move the championships outside of the northeast, they need to provide a preview show for the fans up there, and get the southern corps up there.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,

:rolleyes:

I really like all of the comments in this thread but.......wasn't the original post about "who the average DCA fan is?". It seems that most of the response has been about WHERE DCA should or should not be held. With the very recent and very aggressive growth that other "regions" have had I understand that "it's not your grandma's DCA anymore" and that down the road we really need to address a centralized location for the Championship. But what was asked is basically who is the fan base right now. Is it still mostly East Coast, performers and family, or the rest of us has been what to be's? Inquiring minds what to know. Go Seniors!!! :rolleyes:

<snip>

For some of you this may be your first DCA and for others this may be your 10th or 20th or more.  Next weekend take a few minutes from your busy schedules if possible and talk to the fans up in the concourse.  Not just to hear the accolades about your performance.  IF you can, ask them where they came from, why they keep coming back time and time again.  See what feedback you can get about the future.  Take a minute to learn about who the average fan of DCA is.  :)

Well, Liz - I guess I'm definately NOT your average DCA fan. Before I get started with my little story - please let me pre-qualify that none of my candid comments are in any way meant to marginalize or discount the efforts of the members, discredit the quality of the organizations, or otherwise offend anyone - member, staff or ardent fan. These comments are only my candid personal impressions, based on admittedly very limited exposure.

This summer, I attended my first DCA show since 1972 (last Senior show attended was the 1972 American Legion National Championship at Soldier Field in Chicago). I purchased 50 yd line tickets to the Rockmart, GA show for two reasons. First, I was curious what all the DCA fans on DCP were talking about. Second, it was another opportunity to support the drum corps activity. My only other exposure to "Senior" (all age) corps this season was the CorpVets exhibition performance at the Powder Springs, GA DCI show in late June.

Now, here's the part that's hard. I must say in all honesty and candor that, while I enjoyed supporting the corps as a part of the modest crowd on hand, I came away decidedly underwhelmed from an entertainment perspective. I can attest that MANY in the crowd seemed well pleased! It just didn't grab me personally. Now, I realize that each member of every corps worked hard to entertain the audience and I applauded their efforts. And I can admit that every corps (without exception) had its moments that impressed me. However, as a total entertainment package, it just wasn't my bag.

I also understand that 1) the Rockmart show on the calendar is early to mid-season for the DCA corps (July 16th) and 2) the lineup for the show did not include many of the "powerhouses" of DCA. So, let me say again - this commentary is not meant to reflect negatively on the performing units or the members in any way! It's probably more about my (unrefined) tastes! :P

Finally, based on my experience this summer, I don't think I would invest the travel costs, lodging costs, tickets costs, food and entertainment costs or the time committment to attend DCA Championships unless it was in my backyard (that alone probably disqualifies me from the ranks of the "average DCA fan."). Will I try it again if there is a local show? Absolutely!

Best of luck too ALL corps at DCA Championships, but I've got to give a special "shout out" to my two "hometown corps", Corpsvets and Alliance!

I've held off saying this but IMO "average" and DCA fan are totaly opposites. In 2003 I went to my first Prelims in over ten years and was struck by the wide variety of fans in the stands. Maybe as I'm getting older I notice it more or maybe I could see people better at Red Baron Field than J Birney Crum but WOW. During 2003 Prelims I talked to HS aged people, get to enjoy Renegades with three WWII vets (who loved the show) and yelled back and forth with an ex-Muchacho as Sky came out with that street beat.

Now different topic: Who would go where for DCA????? Dunno what DCA can do to get a good idea of attendance outside of the Northeast. But the hotel situation at Scranton is hurting DCA growth of corps and fans. A new fan might have problems getting a room and say #### it. A new corps decides in spring to go to DCA and can't get rooms for the members and says #### it. A corps grows out of Class A and the hotel they always stay at doesn't have the extra rooms. Ya get the idea....

I really like all of the comments in this thread but.......wasn't the original post about "who the average DCA fan is?".  It seems that most of the response has been about WHERE DCA should or should not be held.<SNIP>Is it still mostly East Coast, performers and family, or the rest of us has been what to be's?  Inquiring minds what to know.  Go Seniors!!! :rolleyes:

Yes, I would think someone needs to do some market research to determine which percentage of current fans are coming from which area. Say for example 75% of the fan base lived within 3 hours driving of Scranton, would it make sense to move finals out of the general area? No, not until stronger regional circuits are established. Maybe there's a way DCA can come up with some figures to find out? Of course, to me, it makes no difference if finals is in Scranton, Rochester, or anywhere else east of the Rockies. It's still a major trip for me. And yes, I'm going this year. It wil be my first trip.

would it make sense to move finals out of the general area? No, not until stronger regional circuits are established.

I don't know what anyone else was talking about... but THIS is what I was talking about. More shows in OTHER areas to build the activity. THEN when that area is built move finals there.

However, the minute you mention the words "move" and "Finals" in the same sentence people light their hair on fire.

It's why the "Move finals somehwere" crowd has to be so rabid. I have a feeling how matter how built up another region becomes, the notion of "moving finals" will be like rolling a 50 ton boulder up a hill.

Very interesting.

let's be realistic a second.

a "true" fan may not be able to haul ### for 6-10 hours at this stage...gas prices. job issues. expense. age. family.

I know a few families who won't go because packing up the kids for a 9 hour ride to W/S is akin to death until the kids get older.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really resent being called not a "true fan" because money issues would prevent me from going to Winston-Salem, or Rochester, for that matter.