A Phantom/BD 2005 Discussion

I think it had less to do with execution (yes I know their performance scores were down this year) and more to do with show design. The performers did what they could with what they were given, it just was not a show that could win a championship, no matter the level it was performed at.

I think PR was back to top 3 form this year. The gap between them and the Devils was far too close, IMO. Execution-wise they were pretty even so even with a better designed show by the Devils, the two should be neck and neck.

Well, as a Regiment alumnus and former staff member, I would like to think PR is back to top 3 form, but with PR, staying in the top 3 for more than a few years in a row has always been a hard thing to do. The corps just seems to rise and fall between 3rd and 8th and every so often have an unbelievable year like 78, 89, or 96.

This year, from what I understand, PR didn't catch BD scorewise until very late in the season.

I think it's a mix actually. I agree with cardman that PR has stepped up their visual package - looks like they might actually have more than 100 sets on the field now ^0^

Granted I'm not a fan of the regiment, I do respect them, and I was very impressed with their show this summer. There isn't a part of me whatsoever that liked 2003 (the summer that so many talk about for phantom), but boy was I impressed with this year. Seemed like a totally different corps in the white and black.

The Blue Team on the other hand - design was a major problem. It just wasn't a good idea - the hornline wasn't too hot IMO either. They always have a great line, but I just wasn't feeling it this year. However, this could be b/c of what they were playing, not just how they played it.

As far as phantom staying in the top 3 - I really don't see it happening. Great run this summer, but man some of the lower end of the top 6 are improving QUICK. I think phantom needs to keep stepping up their visual program and definitely work on their hornline's sound...(yes, I'm not a phan of their hornline).

There's my 2 cents.

If design was a problem, I don't understand how the Blue Devils won early and were then overtaken by Phantom Regiment in the later shows. Granted the Blue Devils are usually very clean early, and Phantom adds to their show late; it leads me to the next question which is:

If the Blue Devils show was as bad as everyone seems to think, and Bluecoats were supposedly their best show ever, and Madison was vastly improved, how did the Blue Devils remain in fourth place?

I would also ask the same question about the final positions of Vanguard and the Crusaders? :whistle:

As I look at these two corps my feeling is that BD really didn't miss much in terms of performance levels. Their show design may have held them back, but I really loved their show. I thought it was fresh, innovative, and fun to watch and listen to.

On the other hand, I think Phantom Regiment is embarking on a new style visually, and perhaps even musically, and this has certainly enhanced their competitive status. They have done this without sacrificing entertainment values and they have also brought something fresh and innovative to the activity. This is not to say that old Phantom was bad, because some of my favorite shows of all time are older Phantom shows. But it was clear to me that the Regiment pushed their own art-form of classical/semi-classical presentation for field.

Now whether any of this translates to consistent top 3 placement is difficult to predict. Remember that the Blue Devils hit a string of 4th place finishes in 1987, 1989, 1990, 5th in 1991, and 4th in 1992 and 1993. Then BD tweaked their formula a bit and presto! They would eventually go back to 1st in 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, and again in 2003.

The Cavaliers tweaked their formula a bit from 1984 to 1989, and in 1990 they started to really challenge for the title. Then after a dissapointing 1997 they tweaked it even more, placing 4th in 1998, 3rd in 1999, and from 2000 to now I think we all know what has taken place.

One of the challenges in this activity is not just to entertain, but to be competitive. It is a competition, and like all competition there are certain styles and concepts that change the activity. We saw this with SCV in the early 1970s, with BD in the late 1970s, with Garfield in the 80s; and when a style or formula springs fully mature it changes the competitive balance. Phantom and BD could both be on their way to doing this, as well as the Cadets. Many didn't care for BD or Cadets, but it is undeniable that they have pioneered new concepts, and quite successfully I think. But Phantom has also done this, and their visual program was really tweaked. So we will see what happens.

Jonathan