PR Co-Ed Guard?

They were co-ed in 86 also. And, all this talk about PR going co-ed will improve their guard ie: Bluecoats did and now look at them...umm Bluecoats never won high guard, never made top five in guard...Phantom Regiment has won guard (88) with all females, and has placed among the top four with, get this..all females......really not a realistic train of thought.

~G~

So, are we saying Bluecoats guards the past few years (since going co-ed again) were not better than the ones since the mid 80's? I think they are remarkably better.

It is a completely realistic train of thought to say that going coed is one of the reasons Coats guard is better. Its not that much of a stretch to think going coed could have the same effect on Phantom. Completely realistic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if the Cavaliers and Scouts are gonna have all-male color guards, it's nice that at least one corps at the top level of the activity still has an all-female guard ...

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: all male... haha :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

Edited by Phantom&Phitch

It is a completely realistic train of thought to say that going coed is one of the reasons Coats guard is better. Its not that much of a stretch to think going coed could have the same effect on Phantom. Completely realistic.

Then going co-ed would help the Cavaliers' guard, too, right? Q.E.D. [/irony]

Please explain how and why you think that going co-ed makes a guard measureably better? As Carl Sagan was fond of saying, correlation does not imply causation. That is, just because two things happen coincidentally doesn't mean that one thing necessarily caused the other. They could both be effects of a third factor, or the two things may be related only indirectly. Did going co-ed make the Bluecoats guard better? Or did they just happen to go co-ed and get better at the same time? And where's the evidence that the same would happen for PR?

Edited by Orpheus

IIRC waaaaay back, PR did have an all male winter guard. It was discussed here somewhere......maybe in the guard forum. Anyway, I hope PR keeps their guard all female. Why be like everyone else? Why not think outside the box.

IIRC waaaaay back, PR did have an all male winter guard. It was discussed here somewhere......maybe in the guard forum. Anyway, I hope PR keeps their guard all female. Why be like everyone else? Why not think outside the box.

The all-female tradition dates back to 1964......

"An all-male comp guard made up of members of the Regiment horn line, called the Raiders, also had a brief success story."

"In 1963, the Regiment fielded an all-male corps, including the color guard, with mixed results. The all-girl guard returned in 1964 and, with the help of a very successful recruiting drive, the Phantom Regiment, sporting a new set of military uniforms, had its most successful year (to date)."

In my heart I feel that PR will never win a Championship if they stick with an all female guard. This year they likely maxed out the point potential with what they have. Let's face it having guys in a guard can add that element of a little more explosive power and speed. Besides if they did add about 5 or so guys I am willing to bet they would be 5 of the most talented guys out there. Who wouldn't weant to be part of the first male guard group on Phantom's 50th Anniversary season.

Another thought, wouldn't adding guys to PR level the talent pool of the top male guard performers? I think they would naturaly draw from the guys in the Cavies and maybe the scouts too. If PR could snag even 5 of the 10 gest guys in the cavies guard that would be a major bonus.

1990 Blue Devils, the last year an all female guard took top honors.

The last corps to win high guard other than Cadets, Cavies, and Blue Devils ??

1988 Phantom Regiment - all female. Rome & Juliet. High guard - without - a Romeo.

15 years is a LONG ### time in DCI history. 15 years ago, we still had Star of Indiana. 15 years ago, many corps still had 2-valve bugles. And 15 years ago, rifle and sabre lines did not do the complexity of combo dance/work as they do today. I know, yes, some will argue that the unison spins and tosses of the 70's and early 80's are better than today's more dance-centric work, but I prefer today's exciting moves hands down.

I'm not sure what I can say without sounding sexist...but I do believe that color guards that are at least co-ed with a few guys are generally more exciting to watch than all-female guards. This is my OPINION, so say what you want to say. Disagree, I could care less. But it's obviously shown in the scores in the past 15 years.

Yes, PR's guard is very effective, as they were this year. But history is against them. And with Phantom Regiment being so close to winning the overall trophy in 90-91 93-94 and winning in 1996 without winning a guard trophy, the possibility of an all-female guard winning today looks very bleak. I could care less whether or not they keep the "tradition" alive. I'm just stating that it's going to take one lean, mean group of PR guard girls to ever beat Blue Devils, Cadets or Cavaliers guard. Of course, I don't think it's impossible...it's just not very likely.

Oh, and another thing: BD's guard won in 90? No way, you're kidding, right? I would have figured BD third to both Cavaliers and Cadets. Wow...shocking. :rolleyes:

SMM

Fun fact -- the Bluecoats color guard used to be co-ed (watch the vids from '87 - '89, for instance) then they went all-female for several years before going co-ed again.

* I might be mistaken on the years.  Memory's the first to go.

Bluecoats had a coed guard since 1984-1989 then went all female from 1990-1996 (i think) I know I saw a couple guys in the guard in 1997. I think they have been coed since then.

Then going co-ed would help the Cavaliers' guard, too, right?  Q.E.D. [/irony]

Please explain how and why you think that going co-ed makes a guard measureably better?  As Carl Sagan was fond of saying, correlation does not imply causation.  That is, just because two things happen coincidentally doesn't mean that one thing necessarily caused the other.  They could both be effects of a third factor, or the two things may be related only indirectly.  Did going co-ed make the Bluecoats guard better?  Or did they just happen to go co-ed and get better at the same time?  And where's the evidence that the same would happen for PR?

I used the word COULD, not WOULD. It happened for Coats. I never said it WOULD happen for Phantom. . .just saying it was possible. Goodness you people get way too worked up.