Grooviest Moment

'85 Suncoast, Midnight In Miami.

Can't help but groove right from the start of the tune with those gorgeous chords the horns lay down, then through the bari/drumline solos, past "The Lick" and up to the end of the tune.

If your head isn't bobbing by the time this song ends... have someone take your pulse.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'85 Suncoast, Midnight In Miami.

Can't help but groove right from the start of the tune with those gorgeous chords the horns lay down, then through the bari/drumline solos, past "The Lick" and up to the end of the tune.

If your head isn't bobbing by the time this song ends... have someone take your pulse.

AMEN!

:master:

Two categories:

Percussion groovy moments:

'82 Avant Garde -- very unique keyboard arranging

First minute or so of '83 Bridgeman's drum solo

'04 SCV where the battery parked on the 35 or 40 (?) in their "mixed line" formation during their feature, and just let 'er rip. I am not a percussionist, but everyone could tell they were playing some really tough/technical licks.

'81 27th's keyboards & tymps in New Country, the tymps' feature in Crown Imperial

'78 SCV and the snare feature in drum solo (go Dennis/Mom!)

'92 Crossmen and the "running mallets" in the background leading into the perc break (Note: this was Crossmen's "Classic Moment" during the Q-Finals telecast)

ANY drum corps with the guts to do a snare ripple. Listen to some old North Star and you'll see what I mean.

SCV's ability to put their signature drum tag at the coolest spot in the show

Brass moments:

'79 BD's opener and the brass "stack" at the end

Strawberry Soup, any year

'81 Lancers and Niner Two

Harpo, the Colts, and Summertime

'05 PR, and the tuba feature

'91 Star and the contra feature in Pines of Rome

I loved that 2003 "Miles Davis" segment of Cavaliers' show, but I never considered it "hip." I considered it the "coolest" thing I'd ever seen on the field.

"Hip" always denoted some sort of rock idiom to me. "Cool" was the term for jazz.

Now I'd love to hear someone's take on what the difference is.

Mike

Edited by Michael Boo

NEW ERA NEW NEW ERA NN NNN NEW ERRA (or something like that) AHHHH SCV 01 . Groovin

1990 Crossmen

1991 Crossmen

1992 Crossmen

"THE GROOVE MACHINE"

Probably some of the hippest drum corps ever

(unless you wore a big yellow coat...)

but maybe I'm a little biased

I loved that 2003 "Miles Davis" segment of Cavaliers' show, but I never considered it "hip." I considered it the "coolest" thing I'd ever seen on the field.

"Hip" always denoted some sort of rock idiom to me. "Cool" was the term for jazz.

Now I'd love to hear someone's take on what the difference is.

Mike

Mike,

Would you guess it: I just read a book called Hip: A History, and wrote a paper on 'hipness' in post-WWII American poetics. I'll PM you later tonight with the discursive answer.

B)

Mike,

Would you guess it: I just read a book called Hip: A History, and wrote a paper on 'hipness' in post-WWII American poetics.  I'll PM you later tonight with the discursive answer. 

B)

I shall avoid breathing until then so that nothing distracts me from awaiting it.