Drum Ripples

Here's my "horn player from 30 years ago" take on all of this.....

Y'all can Bicker & B### all you want , but..

1. The North Star "Chrome Wall" Kicked A##!!

2.Old School Drumlines Rock!!

3. That clip was cool as H###!!!

"nuff said.

*time to take my meds* :P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more little comment, the 100 million thing obviously isn't a reflection of this particular group's popularity or anything, it's the number of people around the world who will watch the Edinburgh Tatoo on television. I doubt those Swiss guys are seen by anything approaching that number in a normal year. If an American drum & bugle corps performed there, they'd be seen by 100 million viewers, too. It's not out of the realm of possibility, either. I remember seeing an American college marching band there one time, years ago. I forget who it was, though. They're not all military units, although most of them are military or police or other official government bands from various countries.

does anyone know how to do them.

yeah most any Drum Corps bass drummer can do that. It's the same principle as what a bass line plays the whole show. All it is is a split part going down the snare line. whether it's an eighth note, 2 sixteenths, a tripple run, a 5 stroke roll, or 4 32nd notes the same principle applies and that is counting.

lets say you want a 5 stroke roll rippled down an 8 man snare line.

player one starts his roll on beat 1 and end on the upbeat 1+

player two starts his roll on the upbeat 1+ and ends his on 2

player three starts on 2 and ends on 2+

etc....

got it?

Are they sure it's a 100 million, or is that spread out over several parades on different days?  LMAO

That worlwide audience figures for the Edinbugh Tattoo - a huge international event that gets little to no converage in the US.

That worlwide audience figures for the Edinbugh Tattoo - a huge international event that gets little to no converage in the US.

I think he was making a joke dude because everyone is up in arms about the DCI attendance being 50,000 and people are saying that's for the whole week

I think he was making a joke dude because everyone is up in arms about the DCI attendance being 50,000 and people are saying that's for the whole week

Ah - I read it the other way. Guess I need to stop being so serious, eh?

:P

Seriously, though it did used to be on A&E or some similar cable channel. Is it still? I haven't seen it in a while. But yeah, in many other parts of the world, especially in many Commonwealth of Nations type countries, I understand that it's extremely popular.

I remember seeing it somewhere like A&E or PBS or somewhere a couple of times-good stuff if you're into military bands.

The most interesting thing to me about that clip is the flag corps actually spinning and tossing the Swiss colors. I don't think that would go over well with Old Glory.