Rick Valenzuela resigns...

OK...let's set this straight (as I got it from an SCV alum)

Rick was planning on retiring at the end of the season anyway. Someone else said he drove 3 HOURS each way from home to do the corps...that's a lot fo time away from family.

The decision was therefore based solely on the desire to spend more time with his family...the low placement of the corps this year was not a factor.

i WILL say, however, that -- in hindsight -- letting the public know they this would be his last season prior TO the season would cut the amount of Scott Stewart comparisons...

He resigned again? That's twice in one week.   :P

Seriously, there was a thread about this already, but it got shut down.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.org/forums//ind...showtopic=69343

Yeah, the other thread got closed because DCP felt it was being used to trash the guy.

During my rookie year in SCV, Rick marched his age-out year (the only member to have marched since 1983 that year). He was THE guy you kept your eye on to set the example for how to be.

Rick,

Thank you for giving your time and your love to SCV and DCI for over 20 years .

Here's to ya sir!

:rolleyes:

Edited by bradrick

Thanks to Rick for all of his years of dedication to SCV. I know I appreciate all you've done for the corps. I have truly enjoyed every show I have ever seen of SCV, and this year was amazing as well. SCV is truly going to miss you.

Best of luck in the future to Rick, and hopefully we'll all see you around at the shows.

OK...let's set this straight (as I got it from an SCV alum)

Someone else said he drove 3 HOURS each way from home to do the corps...that's a lot fo time away from family.

The decision was therefore based solely on the desire to spend more time with his family...the low placement of the corps this year was not a factor.

Rick lives in Roseville and works in Grass Valley which is a 45min commute to the NE of Roseville. That’s 45 min with no traffic. During commute times it can take 1.5 hours. Santa Clara is a 3hr drive to the SW from Grass Valley. Again that’s 3hrs with no traffic. It has taken me as long as 5 hrs with traffic. I also know he had to fly home at least once during tour so he could play catch-up at his main job. He told me he was going to have to put in a week of 12+ hrs.days before rejoining the corps. He also has a wife and 2 small children at home. I believe his son is around 10 and his daughter 2. Rick gave everything to the corps and the members gave it back to him on finals night. He is a perfect example of what it means to be Santa Clara. I wish him nothing but the best!!! :lol::lol::whistle:

Rick lives in Roseville and works in Grass Valley which is a 45min commute to the NE of Roseville. That’s 45 min with no traffic. During commute times it can take 1.5 hours. Santa Clara is a 3hr drive to the SW from Grass Valley. Again that’s 3hrs with no traffic. It has taken me as long as 5 hrs with traffic. I also know he had to fly home at least once during tour so he could play catch-up at his main job. He told me he was going to have to put in a week of 12+ hrs.days before rejoining the corps. He also has a wife and 2 small children at home. I believe his son is around 10 and his daughter 2.  Rick gave everything to the corps and the members gave it back to him on finals night. He is a perfect example of what it means to be Santa Clara. I wish him nothing but the best!!! :lol:  :lol:  :whistle:

Thanks for the detail, Paul. I knew the generalites only...

Reading your post only makes me certain that Rick does NOT deserve the crap heaped upon him....he deserves only our praise...especially for the 04 program!!!