Official DCA Open Class Finals Discussion Thread

George

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO The AL is the oranization that originally started Drum Corps (if my limited knowledge of drum corps history serves me correctly), and today most if not all drum corps are still sponsored by their local AL chapters. I feel they have every right to honor the successes of the corps, and sponsor as many awards as they chose. as for 5 awards for first place... again if memory serves me correctly there were 5 awards for first last year and i didn't hear any complaints. I was in uniform on the field last season and it seemed to take 3 hours just to get through the caption awards. think of it this way, with all those awards being sponsored by different people/groups, isn't it a GOOD feeling to know that these people/groups care enough about the activity to get involved even in that capacity? it makes me feel pretty derned good to know that these people care enough and are interested enough to want to pay their respect to the corps after putting in so much hard work and dedication for all those long and tiring hours over the summer! again this is just IMHO it is not a reflection in any way of my corps or anyone in or involved with it.

Edited by bucspyke

#### it Al!

Seriously, I would really like a history lesson on how there came to be a contra section award, but yet none for mello, sop, snare, etc.

I really don't know. If I remember correctly, I think that 2002 was the first year that the Best Contra award was given. I'm not really sure of the criteria or who, for that matter, determines the winner. I'm not even sure if it is a music caption or a visual caption. Or perhaps it is a combination of the two. I really don't know.

Perhaps someone from DCA could shed some light on this for us. I am curious as well.

Caption Awards are based on scores. See the recap for breakdowns. Caption awards were:

Overall GE - Reading Buccaneers

High Ensemble Percussion - Reading Buccaneers

High Brass Execution - Reading Buccaneers

High Visual Execution - Reading Buccaneers

High Music Effect - Reading Buccaneers

High Visual - Reading Buccaneers

High Percussion - Reading Buccaneers

High Brass - Reading Buccaneers

Best Colorguard - Reading Buccaneers

Special Awards are not based on scored captions, but are judged on "mystery criteria" that aren't announced to the competitors. Those awards were:

Best Soloist - Richie Price (Empire Statesmen)

Best Pit Ensemble - Minnesota Brass Inc.

Best Drum Major - David Bruni (Empire Statesmen)

Best Contra Line - Renegades

Best Showmanship - Reading Buccaneers Cymbal Line

Best Honor Guard - Connecticut Hurricanes

Edited by Kamarag

next year, with a venue change, i expect awards time to shrink a lot w/no Legion tie in