Official DCA Open Class Finals Discussion Thread

George

IMHO The AL is the oranization that originally started Drum Corps (if my limited knowledge of drum corps history serves me correctly), and today most if not all drum corps are still sponsored by their local AL chapters. I feel they have every right to honor the successes of the corps, and sponsor as many awards as they chose. as for 5 awards for first place... again if memory serves me correctly there were 5 awards for first last year and i didn't hear any complaints. I was in uniform on the field last season and it seemed to take 3 hours just to get through the caption awards. think of it this way, with all those awards being sponsored by different people/groups, isn't it a GOOD feeling to know that these people/groups care enough about the activity to get involved even in that capacity? it makes me feel pretty derned good to know that these people care enough and are interested enough to want to pay their respect to the corps after putting in so much hard work and dedication for all those long and tiring hours over the summer!  again this is just IMHO it is not a reflection in any way of my corps or anyone in or involved with it.

i also feel these people should be a helluva lot more respectful to a corps when it's on the field

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool, but whose opinion determines it?  I think it's a fair question.

best pit is the actual award, and it's usually determined by one or both of the percussion judges.

this year, IMO, the right call was clearly made.

I would definitely agree.

How about best contra section, how is that one decided?

We draw straws.

I'll give you this, though: if it meant dispensing with all the rest of the awards that waste everyone's time on finals night I'd be happy to see that one go too.

Besides, you're overlooking a very important detail. It's not the "High Contrabass" trophy, it's the "Hey, thanks for coming all the way out from California and stuff, take this back with you" trophy. Why else would we win it four years in a row? It's not like our contra section is any good or anything.....

I would still like to know how the best Contra Line award is decided. 

Is it a musical caption or a visual caption.  Or, is it a combination of the two?

Still curious.

More to the point, it's the Mel Garr Memorial contrabass trophy, and I believe the winner is decided by the surviving family of Mel Garr based on their personal whim (i'm not 100% sure about that, just trying to deliver an ANSWER to your question), and not scores based.

I think this was the kind of answer you were digging for: that the award is based on nothing substantial whatsoever, which kind of makes it the same as the Best Soloist, Best Drum Major, Best Showmanship, and Best Honor Guard.

Coming Next Year: Best Left Handed Handshake Award. Word on the street is the Stealthmen have a lock on that one for 2006.

Besides, it'd be nice if someone else other than us won the contra trophy once in a while...........it's becoming the token "Renegade" award. But, it's also nice to have SOMEONE think that highly of our contra section to award it to us four years running.

Edited by ContraRich77

More to the point, it's the Mel Garr Memorial contrabass trophy, and I believe the winner is decided by the surviving family of Mel Garr based on their personal whim, and not scores based.

I think this was the kind of answer you were digging for:  that the award is based on nothing substantial whatsoever.

Rich, would you care to sponsor a "Best Smart ### DCP Response Award?" for next season?

I kinda dig your personal whims. B) ^0^

BTW, Good seeing ya again if but for only a few seconds Sunday night!