Official DCA Open Class Finals Discussion Thread

George

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's talking about us trooping the stands, Dave. Obviously, he has no idea what the real reason was...

Edited for a stupid question.

Edited by RumpsPlayer2000

Since you asked, even if it was rhetorical........

I personally have a problem with a lot of the awards !!!!  I especially have a problem with the best contra award, for several reasons.  First off, since 2003, not all corps are playing contras. Some are playing tubas !!!!  Where is the best "Tuba" section award?  And who decides the winner anyway?  I don't see it anywhere on the backs of the sheets.  Please tell me where I can find the set of criteria that defines the award.  Is it in box 4 or 5, because I must have missed it !!!!

In my opinion, I think we should get rid of almost all of the awards, including GE. 

Here are the caption awards I would like to see:

-  High Brass

-  High Percussion

-  High Colorguard

-  High Marching

And then the scores and placements. (Including any penalties)

We can all read the recaps on line the next day !!!!

Screw the best drum major award, screw the soloist award.  (Which, if we're being honest, should really be called the best Soprano Soloist award - because they never give it to a Mello, Bari or Contra/Tuba player.  Then again, what if the corps is using trumpets and not sopranos?  Perhaps then it should be called the best trumpet/sorprano soloist.  Either way, screw that award too !!)  Screw the showmanship award.  Screw the pit ensemble award. And Yes, screw the best Contra Section award.  I just think there are way too many frigan awards.  There is no need to have an award for every caption and sub-caption on the sheets. 

It stems from our society's incessant need to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves - like giving participation awards to little leaguers who finish in last place.  There are winners and there are losers.  That is life. 

This is my own opinion, I am in no way representing the other members of my corps or anyone involved with the Bushwackers.  And this is not at all directed at the Renegades.  I thought you guys were great.  Your hornline was awesome, including your contra section!

.......I may or may not agree......but.....your suggestion has just eliminated 3 needless hours of.........'and the Award for best ....yaDa, YaDa goes to.......

.....and then on the other hand...... if you knew YOU were going to be a recepient of an Award..........Would you then have a problem with us not sticking around....?

It's what we do........It's who we are.........and why not?

I have more of a problem with a baseball player batting .250 and being at the top of his game(DUH!) and #####ing about only making 100K/game. (probably never slept on a gym floor either).

O.K. I RANT.............but........when one of my PEERS comes up to me and says....."Great Show".........it's worth it.......................The End!!

.......I may or may not agree......but.....your suggestion has just eliminated 3 needless hours of.........'and the Award for best ....yaDa, YaDa goes to.......

.....and then on the other hand...... if you knew YOU were going to be a recepient of an Award..........Would you then have a problem with us not sticking around....?

It's what we do........It's who we are.........and why not?

I have more of a problem with a baseball player batting .250 and being at the top of his game(DUH!) and #####ing about only making 100K/game. (probably never slept on a gym floor either).

O.K. I RANT.............but........when one of my PEERS comes up to me and says....."Great Show".........it's worth it.......................The End!!

Can you EVER type a response that is in the form of an actual paragraph, with good English sentence structure? It's SO hard to read and understand you sometimes. I'm just sayin'...

There's a lot of jokes about the length of awards, but actually it went by pretty quick this year, I thought.

I'm still wondering two things - why are contras the only section receiving their own award? And for that matter, anyone know how it's judged and by who?

Second thing - does anyone else find it completely unecessary to give two awards to the same corps for the same thing, ie. both a DCA and AL award?

There's a lot of jokes about the length of awards, but actually it went by pretty quick this year, I thought.

I'm still wondering two things - why are contras the only section receiving their own award?  And for that matter, anyone know how it's judged and by who?

Second thing - does anyone else find it completely unecessary to give two awards to the same corps for the same thing, ie. both a DCA and AL award?

I also don't believe we need to break down the percussion and brass awards into ensemble and field. (Or execution as they call it) It should be:

High Brass and

High Percussion.

And why were there five first place awards? How silly is that? It seems like anyone with a couple of bucks can sponsor an award. We should start a pool and create an award, like "Best looking Colorguard" or "Best Uniforms" or something like that, and see if DCA will have it.

They don't realize that it is getting a bit ridiculous. (Again, in my opinion)

I'm still wondering two things - why are contras the only section receiving their own award?  And for that matter, anyone know how it's judged and by who?

Al ego makes it neccesary. hopefully we never have to deal with the Al again so it should be faster next year

Al's ego is out of control.