Suddenly successful corps

It's kind of crazy to think about it now, but Southwind in 2000 was 2 tenths of a point from forcing Bluecoats to fold.

I've joked with friends before that if only Southwind had not botched the rotating box that was their closing form, they would've made the Saturday night show. Interesting fact: SW finished 12th or higher in every single subcaption at semifinals, but landed in 13th when all the points were tabulated. It seems improbable that this could happen, but it turns out that both Bluecoats and Crown rode into finals off the performance of especially stellar, singular captions.

Personally, I think SW deserved the 11th spot that night over a weak Bluecoats corps and a poorly-constructed (by Crown standards) "Zorro" show from the Carolinas. Oh well, it's hard to knock off perennial finalists even in their "off" years. Opinions are like...well, you know how the saying goes. Feel free to disagree, this activity is pretty subjective.

As for folding because a corps fails to make finals? That seems kind of lame? Forcing? Interesting choice of words? The pay scale at the time was identical for 12th and 13th place corps (I think the cutoff then was between 7 and 8 and then again at 15 and 16 - could be mistaken), so you can't chalk it up to finances? Just curious why :blink: ?

Edit: wordsmithing

Edited by vaguardguy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of crazy to think about it now, but Southwind in 2000 was 2 tenths of a point from forcing Bluecoats to fold.

I doubt if Bluecoats would have folded if they had gotten 13th in 2000.

BLuecoats would have hardly folded if they would have got 13th in 2000. Bluecoats are not the type of corps. to pick up their toys and go home when they don't get the marks they think they should have got. As a corps has done in the past.

BLuecoats would have hardly folded if they would have got 13th in 2000. Bluecoats are not the type of corps. to pick up their toys and go home when they don't get the marks they think they should have got. As a corps has done in the past.

Ooooh! BURN! How does THAT feel, Star of Indiana?!

I can only think of a few "suddenly successful" corps and they happened a while back.

Spirit of Atlanta - 23rd to 4th in 2 yrs

Star - nonexistent to 10th in 1 yr, 1st after 7 yrs

Cadets (return) - 16th to 1st in 4 yrs

Bridgemen (return) - 26th to 6th in 2 yrs

Has anyone done better than these? In the case of Spirit and Star it was a money/sponsorship thing. With Bridgemen and Cadets the attraction was a "fun" thing. I still remember Garfield knocking everyone's socks off (and us out of finals) in 1980. They started with half a corps but the show was so fun they added people all along the tour and kicked butt at the end. Seems either money or fun attracts members. Good to have at least one of the two. But, staff was probably the biggest factor for these corps.

Spirit - Jim Ott

Star - a who's who of staff guys

Cadets - Zingali

Bridgemen - Hoffman and Delucia

I can add one - 2-7 1974 20th, 1975 - 4th...however 74 was an off year so to speak. It's only 15 spots, but it's a pretty good jump. I attribute it to the new show designer, and 30 or so people from the Reveries joining along with a bunch of other talented people.

ooops, just read backwards, I'm a bit late with this info....we also had a bad year in 78, well by bad I mean not top 5, then Zingali took over a little too late in 78.... however with him in 79 we were 5th then 80 was 2nd-the highest placement in the history of our corps.

Edited by LancerFi

Cadets also had a 2-7 alumnus writing their drill in 1981....he did a great job I think-with Gahfielda....

It has already been said that folding wouldn’t have happened, but it definitely would have changed the course of events. Bluecoats had a very hard time recruiting in 2000; recruiting after a second year out of finals would have been really rough. Two tenths is the difference between them being in this thread or being stuck in semis.

Another reason for the rise has been tons of talent coming from Texas auditions. And Bingo has meant more money, meaning Dave Glasgow as a full-time director and steadily improving staff and equipment. Hopefully those are reasons the success will continue.

For the record: the corps to which you refer to is an organization committed to the development of marching music. They left the activity to try something new... something all great and remembered organizations do. They certainly didn't "take their toys and go home"... they upgraded. They continue to represent the activity positively to this day.

Ooooh! BURN! How does THAT feel, Star of Indiana?!

Oh, oh - let me answer and be mouthy since I do not represent the organization...

It feels like the person who made the original statement is an idiot a poor misguided soul who does not know his Star of Indiana history. THAT'S how it feels.

B) B) B)

Edited by SaraNYC