Now that singing has become "acceptable"

Besides, I still say that if attendance at Finals were in excess of 25K - 30K, well those last several thousand people are gonna have really crappy seats.  Do you want to watch a DCI show from halfway into the endzone?  I don't.

You seem to love pointing a finger of blame at DCI without even considering other factors.  Seems like you have a grude and/or an agenda here. 

So you hope the attendance numbers stay down so that you can have a good seat. Sheesh. To quote you from your post #102: "Now you're just being dumb" ....or really selfish.

Dude I do hold a grudge and I do have an agenda, which my posts make no attempt to hide. A grudge against a governing body who has F***** up this activity royally. And an agenda with one goal in mind: to shout from the stadium tops to the simple folk like you below that, "The Emperor has no clothes".

Edited by Brassop

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you hope the attendance numbers stay down so that you can have a good seat.   Sheesh.  To quote you from your post #102:  "Now you're just being dumb"    ....or really selfish.

yeah ... that's exactly what I said. [/irony] Now pay attention -- my point is that if I couldn't get a decent seat, I wouldn't go. (I'd go to Allentown or Indy instead.)

Dude I do hold a grudge and I do have an agenda, which my posts make no attempt to hide.   A grudge against a governing body who has F***** up this activity royally.  And an agenda with one goal in mind:  to shout from the stadium tops to the simple folk like you below that, "The Prince has no clothes".

That's helpful. Now what do you plan to do about it? And do you actually have any viable ideas for what ought to have been done differently? Besides not allowing corps that want to tour to go on the road, I mean, and killing shows in out-of-the-way places. I don't think anyone could have done it any better. Remember that DCI is made up of its member corps. It's not a dictatorship.

I think the thousands and thousands of people who enjoyed themselves at DCI shows this summer probably think that the governing body's doing a fairly decent job. About as good as anyone possibly could, all things considered. They ain't perfect, but I don't know who could have done better.

And anyway, it's the emperor, not the prince ... at least in the version I'm familiar with.

edit: Furthermore, I think you and a lot of the DCI-haters seem to be of the opinion that because you don't like some of the changes that have happened over the years, then nobody should. I'm reminded that that's wrong everytime someone says that SCV '00 or Cavies '02 is the best show ever! - B) - I don't get it, but it obviously appeals to a lot of people.

Edited by Orpheus

Oh sorry, didn't you hear?  We are not allowed to use the numbers from the '80s to compare with today's numbers because that makes DCI look bad.  We are only allowed to use the numbers from the '90s so that DCI is good and getting better.

Guess you missed the memo.

Oh yah that's right! Thanks. I keep forgetting to retain all their discussion perimeters.

Okay, I'm changing my view. From now on I'm going to argue that DCI sucks and that everything they've done since 1980 has been bad. And I'm basing that solely on the fact that more tickets were sold to DCI Finals in 1980 than in 2005. No other reason is necessary.

edit: Furthermore, I think you and a lot of the DCI-haters seem to be of the opinion that because you don't like some of the changes that have happened over the years, then nobody should.  I'm reminded that that's wrong everytime someone says that SCV '00 or Cavies '02 is the best show ever! - B) - I don't get it, but it obviously appeals to a lot of people.

And furthermore, I think you and alot of the DCI-excusers seem to be of the opinion that because you are gaga over the organization and its product that everyone should be, and that no one should oppose them or have a strong, visceral opinion about its actions and there consequences.

So pay attention: Some here disagree vehemently with DCI and the direction of the activity. You don't get it, but it's obviously an opinion of alot of people (us and the thousands who've bolted) share.

......DEAL

Edited by Brassop

And furthermore, I think you and alot of the DCI-excusers seem to be of the opinion that because you are gaga over the organization and its product that everyone should be, and that no one should oppose them or have a strong, visceral opinion about its actions and there consequences.

Actually, there's a lot about the product that I don't care for lately, especially the style of a lot of the brass arrangements these days. Hack 'n' slash, and all that. It's better now, on average, than it was six or eight years ago, but I still don't get quite the same thrill as I did in the late 80s and early 90s. (There've been some shows over the last decade that I never have learned to enjoy.) But the point remains that a lot of fans, especially younger fans, most definitely do get that thrill. And I certainly don't agree with *everything* DCI does, either. You obviously don't know me or my opinions very well. I wish amps had never been approved, but I can live with amplification of pit percussion. I hate amplified voice in drum corps, though. I think ever going back to Orlando for Finals was pretty dumb. And I've really disliked some of the decisions regarding D2/3 that have come about in recent seasons. I'd also have preferred that DCI stay with horns in G, just for the sake of tradition, although I understand the reasons for the change and I definitely don't think it's had a negative effect on the product. All that said, I simply don't think that DCI is the evil empire.

So pay attention:  Some here disagree vehemently with DCI and the direction of the activity.  You don't get it, but it's obviously an opinion of alot of people (us and the thousands who've bolted) share.

How 'bout the thousands of new fans who have come into the activity over the past twenty years, then? How 'bout the thousands of older fans that have stayed? In any case, haven't there always been older fans who didn't like change? I'll bet that there were a good number of older fans from the 50s an 60s who stopped going to shows in the 70s because they disagreed with the "direction of the activity." Remember that 1971 was "the year drum corps died," thanks to the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts. Then I bet there were older fans who were just scandalized by the Bridgemen when they came out with their new style and some traditionalists who absolutely hated the growing prevalence of dance over the course of the 70s & 80s. (edit: just imagine if there'd been an internet when the color pre was eliminated!) The more things change the more they stay the same, huh?

...DEAL

Deal? What deal?

Edited by Orpheus

The only death in '95 was of the Queen in BD's show.

you forgot that roll on the 6 inch in the tenors. that died pretty hard too.