Now that singing has become "acceptable"

What makes you think things in DCI are NOT OK, overall?

Broadcast on ESPN2...

Broadcasting quarters nationwide

Broadcasting the "top 12" ever...

Attendance on the upswing...nationwide and at champs.

IS it perfect? No...nothing ever is. But IMO they are doing things right, overall.

Mike

How come you're allowed to speak hypothetically, but I can't?

Double standards are not becoming. If you're just here to argue, then go somewhere else.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I thought it was rather obvious. Just like you believed YOUR following post was obvious, but you had to tell someone LATER that you were only speaking "hypothetically".

Gosh, I guess we can't all live up to your standards, eh?

All this jabber about posting protocols aside....

My point was, that whether they think they're doing okay or not, the best way that DCI would know for sure is by hitting them in the wallet.

Mind you, I don't condone doing such a thing, as I'm also of the belief that the damage would trickle down to corps as well. And that would never be good.

Edited by apoch003

But since attendance is on the rise...why would they think that?

Mike

in reference to the posts above what you quoted Mike, i stated this because more and more fans are disgruntled.

but since you quoted this out of context to what it followed ( or you ignored) i'll clarify yet again....

if more and more fans get fed up...not the teeny boppers getting the 20% discount to get in, but the diehards,m those spending hundreds to thousands on DCI.....when the wallet hurts, maybe they will learn.

it's more than attendance that hurts the wallet. it's donations, sponsors, souvie sales etc.....i guarantee you if attendance went up in the NFL, but all the ancilliries dried up, the NFL would take notice.

But since attendance has actually been on an upswing lately, even if it's not as high as it was 25 years ago, well ... maybe they *ARE* doing something right?

see above. there is more to DCI's wallet than just ##### every 18 inches in the stands

there is more to DCI's wallet than just ##### every 18 inches in the stands

Ummm ... what?

Anyway, I just don't think quite as many fans are "disgruntled" as you seem to think. Sure, there's some ... but I still think you're overstating the case. And what if some of the "growth" isn't just teeny-boppers, but older fans returning to the activity? I don't know if that's the case, but it's possible, ain't it? I saw more grown-ups in Foxboro than teenagers. Fans who were turned off during the "dark ages" of the late 90s may well have discovered that the corps have taken at least somewhat of a turn back towards entertainment.

Besides, since attendance has actually been on an upswing lately, even if it's not as high as it was 25 years ago, well ... maybe they *ARE* doing something right, yeah? Do you have some evidence that all the other revenue sources are drying up? Are souvie sales, donations, and sponsorships really diminishing?

Edited by Orpheus

an analaogy i think i used before.

WCW was the WWE-like wrestling group run by Turner/CNN for years. in 1996 and 997, they were kicking WWE's butts in all areas...attendance, pay per view buys, ratings, souvies, you name it.

in early 98, the booking became lame, and fan dissatisifaction grew more and more...but ratings and the rest stayed up until 2000...when finally, fans gave up hope and started staying away. that means less ratings, less butts in the seats, fewer souvies sold..... by 2001, WCW was bought by WWE. a company that in 1997 made $60 million in revenue was sold for $5 million.

why? fans got fed up. they stopped spending, yet costs kept rising

an extreme timline, but one that holds true...face it, WCW ran 2 weekly tv shows, monthly PPV shows and 3-5 non televised shows a week. that equates to roughly about 5/6 years of drum corps.

yes we see attendance up from older folks still, but we're also seeing more dissatisfaction.

i also see more and more of these unhappy campers saying "i'll give it time, but eventually...."

when that "eventually..." comes is a watershed moment.

that means those people will find that day when they stop going. stop spending.

fans will give a product that went awry time to correct itself. eventually the day will come where they say screw it and stop.

the main fans affected are those same fans are the diehards who stayed in the 90's when things died.

this is a group dci CAN NOT afford to lose, because despite what marketing says, this groups loyalty and spending blows away the "disposable income" of teenagers.

the day is coming where DCI faces what Turner did...change it or let it go.

when...not if...when these fans have decided enough is enough, thats hundreds to thousands of dollars per fan DCi can't replace with teenages hitting their local shows

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

So you're basically just going on hunches and your own opinion of the current state of the activity, right? Because I frankly haven't heard quite so much dissatisfaction as you seem to have. And I also figure that the dissatisfied fans are the ones who speak up the loudest while those who are content don't make nearly so much fuss. It just seems to me like you're projecting your own feelings on the fan base at large. Like when you say "a product that went awry" you're presenting your opinion as if it were a universally accepted fact. I'm simply not sure that there's necessarily a huge percentage of fans who feel that way.

well, listening to those around me at DCA shows, they seem more and more happy to no longer be going to DCI.

an email i got from a friend I marched with in the mid 90's...someone who doesnt post here or anywhere sums up a lot of what IS being said, tho not necessarily on here:

" Sorry I missed you in Scranton. I forgot how cool DCA was....and after 3 years of being fed up with DCI, I'm DCA all the way now".

you see and hear more and more of it....and not just on here.

I know more than a few people who went to the cinecast locally who said they won't be back. the shows bored them.

it is out there if you look for it. i happen to not hide under a rock and look for it.

if i saw none of it, i'm man enough to come here and say my boycott was wasted and DCI is God. But the thing is, others fit into my analogy perfectly...in time, if fed up enough, they'll stop going.

but i am sure that analogy will be lumped in with the new Coke one...it doesn't fit the powers that be version of reality.

but, IMO, i have yet to see this much fan unhappiness at any time in my 36 years around the activity