soloists on the front sideline.

Quick question -

I see a lot of discussion around MN and Empire - was it a distraction in our (Renegades) show? We tried really hard to not have our soloists seem like they were standing around the whole show, and I think it worked.

As for me - I am an ensemble brass guy - that's my job. If I march, the corps' score goes down, because I am not up top cleaning the ensemble. The rest of the staff felt that I added something to the show, so I took the field this year, even though I only marched 8 counts. But I made it my mission to make our soloists seem like part of the show - not a bunch of guys parked on the sideline.

Did we succeed?

PS I think the world of Joey, Roger, Todd and all those guys, and I do not have a problem with non-marching soloists. IMHO, you do what you can to create the most musical product.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could a Renegades soloist possibly called a distraction with all that stuff (bikes, blocks,...stuff) on the front sidelines? (Sarcasm off!)

I've also played solos in every competitive corps I've marched in. The operative word being "marched". I agree with others that the guys up front this year were spectacular, and all great players. But, at least let these guys do a floater drill, or march only what they're capable of (like the balads, non-running parts). They were definitely a distraction, with the exception of Mr Ponzo who was there for a very different, and admirable, reason.

Edited by fiftysomething

Quick question -

We tried really hard to not have our soloists seem like they were standing around the whole show, and I think it worked.

As for me - I am an ensemble brass guy - that's my job. If I march, the corps' score goes down, because I am not up top cleaning the ensemble. The rest of the staff felt that I added something to the show, so I took the field this year, even though I only marched 8 counts. But I made it my mission to make our soloists seem like part of the show - not a bunch of guys parked on the sideline.

Did we succeed?

I would tend to think so. It was pretty obvious YOU were all over the place, conducting and playing. And the soloists spent a good amount of time marching as well, or at least it seemed they were always going in and out.

Quick question -

I see a lot of discussion around MN and Empire - was it a distraction in our (Renegades) show? We tried really hard to not have our soloists seem like they were standing around the whole show, and I think it worked.

<snip for bervity>

Did we succeed?

I wanted to mention the Renegades in some earlier posts, but never managed to gather my thoughts.

Anyway, the direct answer to your question is yes, the Renegades non-marching soloists (NMS), noticeably to me that night, did a very good job of “hiding” when not playing. There was minimal distriction from the on-field corps. If you tell me that there are going to be NMSs, then I would hope to have them presented as you did. It also helped me to know that you (at least I presumed it was you, I couldn’t be sure since I only know you as a 1 inch square avatar half filled by a large white dog and viewed through bifocals) were a full-time member of the corps, not a hotshot mello-for-hire. And it also helped that other soloists came out from the ranks.

However, if you want my full acceptance of you as an NMS, wear a cast on your leg next year. Or even better, have one of the more decorative guard members push you around in a wheel chair. The chair to be decorated with the “R” logo and flames, of course.

OK  I have to add my 2 cents to this one too !!!!!!!       

I love listening to great horn players as much as the next person, but the activity is a MARCHING activity and I for one would never want to just stand in the front................I feel that would be letting the rest of my corps down and besides I think I've done ok marching and playing.

As a soloist, I never felt I should be doing anything any different than the other members.

I have to agree with Curt on this one. As a 2 time DCA Soloist award winner for the Caballeros, I can say that I DID bust my ### marching a full show, and only stepped out of line when I had to do my thing. Of course I get busted about it all the time because half of the show I would be doing solos...yeah...I had a lawnchair at rehearsals, but I was always there supporting my corps members on and off the field. Heck...in the Sunrisers, I had to play my solos MARCHING IN THE DRILL!!!!!

I would NEVER take anything away from the likes of Joey Pero, or Ritchie Price or ANY of the amazing soloists that came before me....jeeeeez....these guys CAN PLAY!!!! But personally, I think it is harder to march a drill at 200 beats per minute, then come out of line to play a ballad as sweet as ever...with not one little mistake. To me, that is the TRUE soloist. If you can do something like that...as Curt did in 2003, then you will ALWAYS have my vote for this soloist award!!!!! :worthy:

How could a Renegades soloist possibly called a distraction with all that stuff (bikes, blocks,...stuff) on the front sidelines? (Sarcasm off!)

I've also played solos in every competitive corps I've marched in. The operative word being "marched".  I agree with others that the guys up front this year were spectacular, and all great players.  But, at least let these guys do a floater drill, or march only what they're capable of (like the balads, non-running parts).  They were definitely a distraction, with the exception of Mr Ponzo who was there for a very different, and admirable, reason.

AGREED!!!!! What I was there for was something TOTALLY different, and unless you understood that, then I really should not even be mentioned in this conversation!!! But thanks for the kudos!!!!

Quick question -

Did we succeed?

PS I think the world of Joey, Roger, Todd and all those guys, and I do not have a problem with non-marching soloists. IMHO, you do what you can to create the most musical product.

good save! I thought for a second you were going to say your marching lowers the score :P

I have to agree with Curt on this one. As a 2 time DCA Soloist award winner for the Caballeros, I can say that I DID bust my ### marching a full show, and only stepped out of line when I had to do my thing. Of course I get busted about it all the time because half of the show I would be doing solos...yeah...I had a lawnchair at rehearsals, but I was always there supporting my corps members on and off the field. Heck...in the Sunrisers, I had to play my solos MARCHING IN THE DRILL!!!!!

I would NEVER take anything away from the likes of Joey Pero, or Ritchie Price or ANY of the amazing soloists that came before me....jeeeeez....these guys CAN PLAY!!!! But personally, I think it is harder to march a drill at 200 beats per minute, then come out of line to play a ballad as sweet as ever...with not one little mistake. To me, that is the TRUE soloist. If you can do something like that...as Curt did in 2003, then you will ALWAYS have my vote for this soloist award!!!!! :worthy:

you had lawnchairs?

:music:

you had lawnchairs?

:music:

Good thing you put that little guy hiding in the chimney Jeff......otherwise that lawnchair would be placed rather forcefully somewhere on you where the sun never shines!!! LOL ^0^ :worthy:

Good seeing you and Christine again....even though it was only for about 5 minutes. We never really get the chance to "hang" anymore!!!

You doing a full review of the Alumni Show any time soon??? I like to read about the other corps and how they did, since we really don't get a chance to see ANYONE lately!!!!