soloists on the front sideline.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the four 'pointing and gesturing' sopranos on MBI's front sideline, I want you to know it was a strange position for us four, never having done the sideline gig before, but it was what was necessary this year. The corps felt it needed more high-brass power, and after some persuasion, we all agreed to go out front as a group, and help provide that power. We all wanted to contribute, but none could march, for various reasons.

We didn't know quite how to act out there, but there are no rules for this. Personally, I think it's part of a soloist's job to interact with the crowd. MBI put the players on the line, and took its chances.

For my part, I will be back marching in the line in 2006 if I can, but I will certainly welcome the fine work of players like Andy, Ray, and Todd out front if the opportunity or necessity arises again.

Thanks for listening.

I dunno...it doesn't bother me too much. I see both sides of the argument.

now if they start putting 10 people up there, then yeah, i have an issue with it.

to those of you who were pitted...thanks for being pros about it and not being a distraction.

If a corps wants to put a soloist or soloists in the pit then it's ok with me.....just don't hand 'em a "Best Soloist" award because they're only doing half the job.

It's like voting a career designated hitter into the Hall of Fame.

Yeah I like that now Cabs.Sky,Hurcs,Sun (Fran weren't you a soloist)  can bring back all their entertaining Soloist's and park them on the side line also.  Sweet!!

JP

There wouldn't be any room for the keyboards if we were to do that.....