anyone catch this comment on the Pats game?

I must've missed the comment  about the "band" cause the game became so boring and predictible. :)

It is beginning to be boring being a Patriots fan. You know they are going to win no matter who they lose (except Brady).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and that the stadium will be horribly overpriced

I noticed a fog horn type sound during the game last night. Is this the bell everyone was talking about from finals week??? :worthy: I don't recall hearing that when I was there.....but I guess I could be going deaf!!! :)

and that the stadium will be horribly overpriced

This is the post of the week!!! :music::worthy:

Recently I have tried to be more tolerant towards my unwashed friends when they refer to what we do as band. I only get mad at my friends who should know better. Band does not equal drum corps.

HOWEVER,

Drum Corps is a subset of Band. Just like Marching Band is a subset of Band. Just like the Rock Band is a subset.

Dictionary Definition of Band - a company of musicians who play parts of a musical arrangement on different musical instruments. Nice broad definition that encompasses all of the above.

At the risk of getting flamed (and putting on asbestos suit already), Drum Corps are Bands. They are not marching bands, which are a different subset, but they are bands.

So the next time your newbie friend says "hey I saw these awesome bands on ESPN2 the other night, is that what you do," my humble suggestion would be to say "yes, that is exactly what we do. You should come out next year and watch some local events and see the full shows and hear it in person. That's the way to really hear a Drum Corps perform."

Now I will crawl back into my hole.

Bob

Band - drum corps does not affect me when the unwashed refers to us. Only when someone who should know better.

More importantly, this comment continues to highlight a major issue in DCI finding fields for major competitions. Other than turf surfaces, in Jeff Feidler's words, DCI is known as a killer of grass fields, particularly for the three day championships. This makes it very hard to find good venues. We are turned away from too many sites due to this. Sorry he said it.

I noticed a fog horn type sound during the game last night.  Is this the bell everyone was talking about from finals week???  :worthy:  I don't recall hearing that when I was there.....but I guess I could be going deaf!!!  :)

Double post.

Edited by Slow Adam

Nope.  It was like those old metal school bells that some corps use in their pits. Hopefully it doesn't come through on the CD / DVD's, because it rang at some very noticeable times during quarterfinals.

Did anybody hear any really obvious rings at finals?

Edited by Slow Adam

Band - drum corps does not affect me when the unwashed refers to us.  Only when someone who should know better.

Ditto.... If it gets new butts into the seats and more $$$$ to support the corps who cares what a non-DC persons calls it.

Of course when someone asked me if I wanted to join a "Drum Corps" way back when my response was "Why I don't play drums". (NOT joking)