Bushwackers 2006 Repertoire

What should the Bushwackers play for their 25th Anniversary season?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Bushwackers play for their 25th Anniversary season?

• Best of Bushwackers Show
    • Best of Bushwackers Championships Show
    • Classical Music
    • Jazz
    • Broadway
    • Latin
    • More Russian Music
    • Concert Band Music
    • Brass Band Music
    • Best of the Troopers (Sorry.....I could not resist!)

I keep asking corps to play the Alexander Nevsky Cantata by Sergei Prokofiev...it has a TON of stirring moments, an intensely dark ballad section, lots of excitement, and it's Russian...it's a great theme to expand on, and hardly ANY corps have done it. PLEASE check it out...it's perfect for our idiom, and we would really rock it out as only Bush could do.

Looking on CorpsReps.com, it looks like Crown did it in 91, Esperanza did it 2002, and a couple of others.

I agree with you Chris. I loved your show this year because I love Russian classical music and you guys did a great job performing it. I would love to see you guys do another Russian-themed show! But please, no "Sweeney Todd" or "Sunday in the Park with George", I HATED those shows! No offense meant to those of you who love them, it's just my personal taste. Also, don't do a greatest hits show, they never work, competitively speaking. A Russian-themed show would give you guys the best chance to unseat Bucs next year.

Edited by sunbari1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking back through the corps archives, you gotta consider digging out that Bush drum classic, "Egyptian Danza." The '84 version may have been the first standing-O moment in the history of the corps.

Although probably somewhat old-school for contemporary use, "I'll Be There/Thriller" (also from '84) was a great number in what would soon be identifiable as the mid/late 80's Bush style, showcasing Larry K's arranging talents as a writer of both beautiful ballads and in-your-face, powerhouse material. It was a solid corps, playing an exciting and entertaining book.

There's a lot of great stuff in the Bush play-book - I'm sure you guys will come up with another great program. Go Bush!

regards,

Fred O.

Bush '81 - '85, staff '92 -'94

ok i vote for classical jazz with a a broadway flair.

and Ghost Riders In the SKy

As much as I liked Sweeney Todd, I would love to see Bush re-do their show from 96. I've always said that with 10 more horns, they would have been on top with that show.....simply marvelous. Or at least tied with Cabs for the top spot. VERY entertaining.

If not, then ......ummm-m-m ........TROOPERS.

Some really difficult choices!!  Bush has played something from almost every idiom and done it well.

I voted for jazz, but I love Russian composers!! 

Donny is right, though:  the '94 show was lots of fun.

Clearly, Dennis, the people have spoken, and they wish you to play the Russian Jazz pieces made famous by the Troopers that Bush played in their Championship years. Any questions?

Anyway you cut it, you guys had a much better year than any other "Bush" this summer. Keep it up.

Ray :rolleyes:

I keep asking corps to play the Alexander Nevsky Cantata by Sergei Prokofiev...it has a TON of stirring moments, an intensely dark ballad section, lots of excitement, and it's Russian...it's a great theme to expand on, and hardly ANY corps have done it. PLEASE check it out...it's perfect for our idiom, and we would really rock it out as only Bush could do.

Looking on CorpsReps.com, it looks like Crown did it in 91, Esperanza did it 2002, and a couple of others.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on Nevsky, although it's one of my favorite pieces. (TL got me hooked). I believe in my heart that to do this piece justice, you would need a HUGE brass line for the finale. The finale pulls the whole piece together and has the most magnificent ending ever put together for a movie score. (my opinion, of course). I could see vintage Phantom, or Star, or one of the bigger sounding SCV lines. Ya know how people keep doing and doing pieces like "The Planets" or "The Firebird"? I think you're only going to get one shot with Nevsky, and whoever does it will have to wring every drop of emotion out of that last movement, and in my opinion, they will require an immense sound.

Pls don't interpret this as a slam on Bush. I've only heard one or two DCA horn sections ever that I thought could make this piece work. I'm sure that Dugan and Argul would have as good a chance as anyone, though.