Most Influential Instructor

PJS53

Dan,

I do know Dwayne Lewis, mainly by reputation, however. He did instruct under Tom in '79 Spirit, but he wasn't there when I started in '80. Dwayne is originally from Jacksonville, Alabama and marched at JSU, where I was later in the drum line, so I've met him at a college drum line reunion. I don't know Stephanie, but have heard the name many times from people who were in Spirit before I was.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first drum teacher, Cory Cisler. I remember walking in to the room and the first thing he showed me was a paradiddle. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have learned as many rudiments as I have. I pretty much owe to him any successs I ever have in drumming.

Mike Knudson--awesome mallet player. Taught me in Caps. Never had a better instructor.

My influential Corps Instructors have been:

Don Porter Jr.  - My 1st teacher - down in L.A.

Curt Moore and Ralph Hardimon - Artists, Inspirational

writing and instructional

excellence

- SCV Days    

Now  - Lee Rudnicki -  Another amazing writer - Renegades!

• 11 months later...
Tom Float.

I'm bowing in front of the mighty drum god Tom Float... ####, he was inspiring!! B)

Being a Brit you guys normally wouldn't know my two guys but I know both of them marched DCI at some point late 80's/early 90's.

In the UK we have a festival over the Easter period and when I was in my teens (oh those long distant days!!) these two guys were like a double act of drumming Gods to us!!

Lonsdale Gayle (Madison Scouts I think and Sunrisers (UK)) and Gary Powell

(Cadets and Dutch Boy and Sunrisers also).

Gary now drums for a rock group over here called The Libertines, just enjoying a bit of recognition.

Wow. I would like to name a list, but one stands out above the rest for me. Jon Zimny. Jon was the brass Caption head for the Freelancers. I stayed at the Freelancers because of him (after trying out and making BDs line in 92). I remember my rookie year. Casper WY. I was a pretty scrawny kid that year and I was playing euphonium. I had a bunch of problems in my home life and never really had someone take a special interest in me. I couldnt hold up my horn, I couldnt march and I could just barely play. At Casper, I had enough of being yelled at and screwing up all the time. I walked out of rehersal, went to the gym and packed up my stuff. I was quitting the corps. Jon came up to me and asked what I was doing and I told him I was tired of bringing the corps down and that I was done. Told him I was quitting. He looked at me in that special 'Oh Yeah??' way of his. He then calmly slammed me up against a locker and got about 1/2 inch from my face and very calmly said..."CJ, you will BE a Freelancer by the end of this season, or one of us will die trying!! Now get your ### back out to rehersal!! Quitting?? I think not." He took a special interest in me from that moment on and I never looked back. I aged out as a Freelancer 6 years later and I became the man I am today because of that one special moment in Casper. If you are reading this Jon, thank you.

John is excellent. He is teaching the RA this year and doing a great job!

I would put him right up there in the top two brass guys I've been taught by. Tim Salzman is the other one.

He has a great sense of humor too, which only enhances his teaching ability.

So sorry....didn't see the percussion thing.

Edited by LancerFi

I've started a similar thread on the Cadets new Forums, unders Alums, But, as for influences for me, I'd have to say Thom Hannum with the Cadets and Charley Poole with the Lancers. Others would be Carl Boos from the Cadets, Tom Aungst from the Cadets, Tom Newell from the Avant garde, and Although not a drum instructor, as a cymbal player, George Zingali really taught us about visuals and the power of the cymbal line in the overall GE category.

STEVE KIEFFER- He has been the bass tech for the Cadets since '84. Before that he marched Crossmen on 2nd bass for I think 7 or 8 years. I've never worked with a man that could teach individuals so much, but yet have so much fun at the same time. He always knows how to get the line to play with intensity and power no matter what. Just his presence has made the Cadets Bassline what it's been for so many awesome years.