Larry Markiewicz Steps Down as Crossmen Director

From the YEA! website:

At a Sunday afternoon conference following the annual retreat of the YEA! Board of Directors, George Hopkins, Executive Director of Youth Education in the Arts announced a change in the leadership for the Crossmen drum and bugle corps. Larry Markiewicz, director for the past three years, has stepped down due to school and family obligations.

Read entire article here.

Good job, Larry! Best of luck and much happiness in the future. Thank you for your service to the Crossmen!

Respectfully,

Michael D. Terry

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this and I'm not sure what to think. From everything I noticed (as a distant outsider), it seemed like everything this season went right except for the final standings and scores. Best of luck to Larry and hopefully the Crossmen can find someone to start moving them back toward the top.

(The article says they'll announce a new director tomorrow, Sept, 12-- Thats pretty soon, so this is obviously not a surprise, especially since Larry said in his blog its been done for a while.)

He's the band director for basically one of the top 2 best bands on the east coast. (close to me)

Does this year have a lot of staff changes compared to previous years?

well, in division 1 we have SCV, Magic, and Crossmen so far.

~>conner

From the article:

According to Hopkins, “Larry did offer some options for participation in the corps but he really was unable to give time over the summer. He is newly married, new house and a great band job it just does not work for him to be on the road for 50 or 60 days each summer.”

Not surprised one bit. Good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future Larry. You put out some fantastic corps at Crossmen!!

I have to STRONGLY disagree with that statement. Larry is a friend of mine and his band is superb, no doubt. But one of the top 2 on the east coast? NO WAY! Even HE would tell you that. There are SERIOUS BOA bands out there and maybe even a few TOB and/or USSBA bands that would give Bridgewater a very tough time. Not to slight BR, because as I've already said, they are an excellent band!

He's the band director for basically one of the top 2 best bands on the east coast. (close to me)

Not surprised one bit. Good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future Larry. You put out some fantastic corps at Crossmen!!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for putting BR into perspecitve:-)

I am also impressed that this post got off topic after less than 10 postings.

All is well! I am a happy man, and this will be a good year for my band too:-)

BTW....Congratulations on a great year with Bush. It was nice to see and hear the corps on that level again!

Larry