• All Jr corps no matter how big or good
    • All competing Jr corps
    • All Jr corps wanting to go under DCI umbrella
    • All Div I corps (not Div2/3)
    • All corps allowed to vote
    • Top 21 Div I corps
    • Top 12 Div I corps
    • Other - please explain

Lot of disagreement on what corps DCI really represents or watches out for. Instead of doing a poll on that topic, thought I'd poll DCPers on who they think DCI should represent.

I think some clarification about the term "represents" is important here. I've made my thoughts on DCI and what part of the drum corps activity they should focus on clear on these boards (but for those not familiar, I feel DCI should limit its scope to only national touring corps, those that are full-size or close to it, and "outsource" the management of Div. 2/3 and their needs, including a cohesive nation-wide regional tour for these corps with separate regional championships, to a currently nonexistant sister organization).

I think any corps that wishes to compete in DCI under this new model would first need to meet size requirements (100+?) and prove they have the financial and human resources to for success and longevity as a DCI corps. All other corps would compete and tour under the new sister organization focused on the needs of smaller corps, and those corps with less resources.

DCI has made gaining "membership" (voting rights) a competitvely achieved status. As it stands today, this voting body is obviously skewed towards the needs of it members, which are almost all of the time Div. 1 corps, leaving the other divisions with only a small voice in matters. In this new setup, DCI would not change their approach, but now they can all stop feeling guilty for neglecting the other divisions, since they now have a full organization attuned to their needs.

M

Edited by OMello1

DCI is basically a monopoly. They have become the steward of the acitivity and I would like to see them expand their reach to all the junior corps. They could run the "sister" organization and set up regional shows for the smaller corps. Having a D1 corps or two perform at some of these shows would bolster the viablility of this system, IMO.

DCI is basically a monopoly.  They have become the steward of the acitivity and I would like to see them expand their reach to all the junior corps.  They could run the "sister" organization and set up regional shows for the smaller corps.  Having a D1 corps or two perform at some of these shows would bolster the viablility of this system, IMO.

The problem with this is that "They" (DCI) are the div. 1 corps. So we still have a situation where Div. 1 corps are being asked to "run" and organization focused on the needs of Div. 2/3 corps.

I still say the two organizations should be separate entities with separate staffs, budgets and mission statements. But for the survival and growth of the activity as a whole, they must work together to achieve a common goal (unlike DCA and DCI pretending the other doesn't exist).

M

I think some clarification about the term "represents" is important here.

Heh, I was going to wait another day or so but since you brought it up I'll do it now...

1) What is your (all readers, not just OMello1) definition of "DCI representing corps". Was thinking of putting this in a poll but there are just too many ways to define "representing".

2) If you choose other than "All Jr Corps" what do you feel the non-representive corps should do for their own benefit?

3) If you chose other than "all Jr Corps" should DCI find a better motto than "Best Marching Activity" or whatever was said on the ESPN telecast. Anyone with a better (read: younger) memory please help me out.

PS - Take a bow OMello1, got the idea for this poll from your posts on the Saving DCI thread. B)

Man, when you're a Senior/Alumni type person, you can learn a lot by picking the brains of the Junior type folks. B)

I look at it a bit differently. DCI should either sponsor the tour or the championship, but not both. Same for DCA. We've got to segregate the "dependability" factor from the championship. Renegades and MBI have forced this issue in DCA, and its not far-fetched to see Crest, Academy, and Esperanza doing likewise in the near future.

I think if you have a drum corps that competes in DCI in any sort of fashion (I/II/III/regional), you should get a say... and a vote on each and every issue.

Leaving decisions to only a certain few promotes a certain amount of inbreeding of ideas.

IMO...

Div II/III has it's own committee within DCI to control how it operates. Maybe that could be expanded. I see no reason that div I corps should have to have the same set of operational rules (e.g. amps, electronics) as div II/III...nor should their own needs be controlled by the votes of div II/III.

Mike

Ker-Bump - Trying for more votes.......