I need some pointers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I always told anyone trying out was don't cut yourself.  Keep working and practicing and showing up until the corps tells you to go home, don't assume you're not good enough to make it and stop showing up.

Here here!! I taught corps for five years, and at the first camp I would tell kids that expressed doubt to keep firing away. Some of my best drummers were kids that kept showing up, and kept getting better. Heck, somtimes we would say "didn't we cut that kid last month?", and since he/she was there we would use them. Granted that was Div 2, but you get the idea. I can honestly say a few of my best bass drummers ever were guys that were last on my rank list after the first camp, but did their work and were awsome drumline members for several seasons.

As far at my "attitude, attendance and ability" (in that order) thing, it may not have been a pyramid.....time and loud drums have taken their toll on my brain, but you get the point.

BTW cutlas, I marched Crossmen and taught at Surf, you can't go wrong with either corps! Good luck.

*bump*

Wanna keep this one in view for awhile for all potential auditionees to look at, maybe?  B)

hahaha that'd be a good idea, I thank everyone who's posted for their input, it's helping me out A LOT

Hey you jerk!  first of all, it's spelled Kelley.  and i don't get shot down by ALL the chicks, just most of them.  which is better than i can say about you john...

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this topic. It's been really helpful. I am going to be auditioning for the first time this season as well. I'm auditioning as a rook-out for Crown this season. Already booked my flight and I can't wait until the first camp! :) Like others, I'm also very nervous about the whole audition process.

I'm looking at this as my only chance since it's my age-out year when I should really just be confident. Either way, I'm determined to make it and hopefully, with all the advice people have given me this past year, I will do just that.

Now I just have to worry about finding a sponsor if I make it... flights from Boston are expensive!!! :(

Ok, I think I've finally gotten all the other stuff down, but now I've got a question about the audition piece... I'm considering just doing my solo from marching band (Valjean's part in "Bring Him Home" from Les Mis), which is a minute long and everything, but it doesn't really 'show-off' any of my talents other than being able to hold out notes (not to diss myself, but it's not that difficult of a solo heh). What kind of music should I be looking into for an audition piece?

• 3 weeks later...
Pyramid? Illuminati? World Champions? I knew there was a connection to Hoppy. Conspiracy theorists, unite!

I'm pretty sure that Hoppy is a member of "The Pentaveret"

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sunny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaveret, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

stuart2.jpg