Is it an Alumni Corps if.......

GABA

:ph34r:

I do not consider the status of people that marched with us in 94 only as alumni of the 27th Lancers.  The 27th Lancers were a junior corps/class A, division I corps.  That IMO is what made you an alumni and after having certain other credentials so to speak, a graduate. 

If I were to end up marching in the Kingsmen rifle line, I would not consider myself an alumni of their corps either. 

It will be very different for me putting on any uniform other than my own, and it may feel so incorrect that I would have to rethink it even of everything else was in place and I was ready to go.

I also would not have that very, very comfortable feeling I had marching with so many people in 94, as well as knowing about 100 people from other years (when Dad and sisters were involved) and other corps.  There is/was a comfort zone that can never be replaced if you're not one of the home towners, or alumni/graduates.

Exactly !!!!!!! :wall:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Steel City we also have dropped the alumni part and just gone with the name. I really don't care one way or the other about it, 1400 people die in western PA everyday, the alumni base of "purists" is rapidly drying up! Actually without the alumni part, you make perspective members who never marched feel more welcomed. But really isn't this an old twist to the question "is it still a drum and bugle corps if they use Bb horns?"

P.S. Loujaye, sorry if we offended you, but get over it!

OK, here is the reason I posted these questions. I am on the Alumni Committee for my Alma Mater. We started to hunt down as many "Alumni" as we can for our 40th reunion. This is kind of a special reunion, plus we are a small school, so we did not care if they graduated last year or 15 years ago. We wanted to have a real big turn out.

We came up with these question because some of the past students got wind of this and wondered why certain people were invited even though they attended for less then a year. I personally know of 5 people who attended 3 or more schools before getting their degree. I being one of them. So, are we an Alumni of every one of those schools, or just the one we graduated from? I know my school will not sell you one of those Alumni License plate frames of any Alumni stuff without proof of graduating. I am also aware of other schools with the same policy. If you exchange Drum Corps for schools, and marching a whole season for graduating, you may or may not see my point.

This post was not ment to rag on the Kingsmen, but I guess I must of hit a nerve with some of their members. For that I am sorry.

GABA

The Bridgemen Alumni Corps is made up of roughly an 80% to 85% ratio of genuine St. Andrews/Bridgemen. The way most of us see it in old Bayonne, we welcome the unfortunate souls that never had a chance to live the Bridgemen experience back in the day. IMHO it IS an alumni corps if you have alumni in the corps who are breathing life into the traditions of days past and I don't see anything wrong with welcoming others into the ranks to join the festivities. Life is short. If you didn't have a chance to do it then, there is a grand opportunity to do it now. The 2006 edition of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps is something that you won't want to miss.

....... getting to my shameless plug for the Bridgemen Alumni Drum and Bugles Corps open house this coming Saturday, September 24 bridgemen.info and a message to welcome any of you who would like to come down and share the experience in this, our second season as an alumni corps. As a genuine alumni of the Bayonne Bridgemen I can say that it was a pleasure last season marching with old friends as well as people who came in from other drum corps.

HYPE!

^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^

:tic::ph34r::wall::tic::tic:

OK, here is the reason I posted these questions. I am on the Alumni Committee for my Alma Mater. We started to hunt down as many "Alumni" as we can for our 40th reunion. This is kind of a special reunion, plus we are a small school, so we did not care if they graduated last year or 15 years ago. We wanted to have a real big turn out.

We came up with these question because some of the past students got wind of this and wondered why certain people were invited even though they attended for less then a year.  I personally know of 5 people who attended 3 or more schools before getting their degree. I being one of them. So, are we an Alumni of every one of those schools, or just the one we graduated from?  I know my school will not sell you one of those Alumni License plate frames of any Alumni stuff without proof of graduating. I am also aware of other schools with the same policy. If you exchange Drum Corps for schools, and marching a whole season for graduating,  you may or may not see my point.

This post was not ment to rag on the Kingsmen, but I guess I must of hit a nerve with some of their members. For that I am sorry.

GABA

Hey GABA, I have always enjoyed your posts and you seem to always be a straight shooter my friend,...as a true Kingsmen, I have no pronblem with anything you post and have enjoyed this spirited exchange...I see your point and, by all means, keep them coming. I think that what we mistake here on DCP is that we are somehow rivals or enemies after we disagree,...on the contrary, we all love drum corps, but just have differing views on different issues....that is the way it should be brother. B)

I personally know of 5 people who attended 3 or more schools before getting their degree. I being one of them. So, are we an Alumni of every one of those schools, or just the one we graduated from?  I know my school will not sell you one of those Alumni License plate frames of any Alumni stuff without proof of graduating. I am also aware of other schools with the same policy. If you exchange Drum Corps for schools, and marching a whole season for graduating,  you may or may not see my point.

Well, not sure if this will help, but Websters defines "alumni" as: "A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university (...Alumnus is a masculine noun whose plural is alumni, and alumna is a feminine noun whose plural is alumnae. Coeducational institutions usually use alumni for graduates of both sexes)"

If you go strictly by that definition, if you attended the school, you are an alumni. (Though personally, it's always seemed to me that the connotation of the word implies being a graduate of the school).

Translated to drum corps, strictly by that definition you would be an alumni if you marched at all, and not necessarily your 'age out year'. Of course, that's still open to debate. :)

Hey GABA, I have always enjoyed your posts and you seem to always be a straight shooter my friend,...as a true Kingsmen, I have no pronblem with anything you post and have enjoyed this spirited exchange...I see your point and, by all means, keep them coming. I think that what we mistake here on DCP is that we are somehow rivals or enemies after we disagree,...on the contrary, we all love drum corps, but just have differing views on different issues....that is the way it should be brother. B)

Felix, you are a Kingsmen!

I can't wait to see you guys in Blue once again.

Talk with Dave, I am sure he means well. Again, this was not ment to be a Kingsmen bashing. If you look at all my posts, you will see that I am a fan.

GABA

Edited by GABA

Felix, you are a Kingsmen!

I can't wait to see you guys in Blue once again.

Talk with Dave, I am sure he means well. Again, this was not ment to be a Kingsmen bashing. If you look at all my posts, you will see that I am a fan.

GABA

No harm no foul! Just know that this means so much to me, it's a once in a lifetime chance to march again! :laugh:

The Bridgemen Alumni Corps is made up of roughly an 80% to 85% ratio of genuine St. Andrews/Bridgemen. The way most of us see it in old Bayonne, we welcome the unfortunate souls that never had a chance to live the Bridgemen experience back in the day. IMHO it IS an alumni corps if you have alumni in the corps who are breathing life into the traditions of days past and I don't see anything wrong with welcoming others into the ranks to join the festivities. Life is short. If you didn't have a chance to do it then, there is a grand opportunity to do it now. The 2006 edition of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps is something that you won't want to miss.

....... getting to my shameless plug for the Bridgemen Alumni Drum and Bugles Corps open house this coming Saturday, September 24 bridgemen.info and a message to welcome any of you who would like to come down and share the experience in this, our second season as an alumni corps. As a genuine alumni of the Bayonne Bridgemen I can say that it was a pleasure last season marching with old friends as well as people who came in from other drum corps.

HYPE!

^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^

Very Eloquent response-and I agree with it completely. I think those who were non alumni, and chose to be with us, totally enjoyed themselves, and I know, I enjoyed their company ......Benny

Edited by BennyBassDrum

^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

As a genuine alumni of the Bayonne Bridgemen I can say that it was a pleasure last season marching with old friends as well as people who came in from other drum corps.

In July 1965 I joined St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers after several years in the Scarlet Knights. Before I could get on the snare line, Uncle Sam called( really great timing). I endeed up enlisting in the Marines and ended up 2 years in the Marine Drum Corps in Hawaii, and 2 years in the Marine Drum Corps in Chicago. I always wondered what it would have been like playing with the 65-66 Buc's snare line. After 40 years I finally found out. It is such a rush hitting the field with these guys, plus playing in a line made up of all the people I used to compete against. I understand exactly how you feel and just how much pleasure people are getting from this re-birth of drum corps fellowship.

http://www.theparkcitypride.org/

Jim Ormiston

Park City Pride...Snare Line 2004-2005

USMC D&B........ Snare Line 1965-1969

St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers 1965

Scarlet Knights...Snare Line 1961-1964 :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: