Eliminate Division 2

As has been mentioned, II/III should be allowed to compete in Quarters directly, or at least if they place high enough overall at II/III Finals. They should not be required to move to Div. I if they place high enough, though.

This is another dumb reason to have II/III Finals at the very end of the week. There's no opportunity for the kids to progress through a few more shows. Bring it back to Tuesday in the same stadium to make things simpler for everyone involved.

Frankly, I'm glad that I'm not marching II/III these days. It was difficult enough to feel respected fifteen years ago, but these days it seems pretty ####ty.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be about size personally. Like in marching band, you can't compare a corps w/65 members against a corps w/125. the old A60 and A90 was best.

There was never such a thing as "A-90." I remember Class A corps from the 80s with over 100 members, and I don't think a larger corps that wants to be D2 (or Class A) should be forced to pare down their number that low just because they don't want to or aren't able to compete in D1. And besides, back when corps from the lower divisions were allowed to move up and compete against the Open Class corps once in a while, it wasn't uncommon for a really good D2/3 (or A/A-60) corps to get a fair shake and knock off some of the bigger corps. Remember Academie Musicale and Les Etoiles? Or Pioneer when they were kicking butt in D2 and making an impression in D1? Don't tell me they can't compete. (edit: and granted it was a long time ago, but in 1989, Suncoast Sound made finals with <100 members, right?) ECJ ain't gonna dethrone the Cadets, but it'd still be nice to see what they could do in Quarters if given the chance.

Edited by Orpheus

Remember Academie Musicale ...

3rd place hornline in '88 -- in Open Class Quarterfinals.

I was walking around to the back side of Arrowhead Stadium just as they were starting, and when I heard them play, I thought, "Holy ####... WHO is this?" I stopped walking and watched their show from the railing.

They weren't necessarily loud, but clarity & intonation were unbelievable.

There was never such a thing as "A-90." I remember Class A corps from the 80s with over 100 members, and I don't think a larger corps that wants to be D2 (or Class A) should be forced to pare down their number that low just because they don't want to or aren't able to compete in D1. And besides, back when corps from the lower divisions were allowed to move up and compete against the Open Class corps once in a while, it wasn't uncommon for a really good D2/3 (or A/A-60) corps to get a fair shake and knock off some of the bigger corps. Remember Academie Musicale and Les Etoiles? Or Pioneer when they were kicking butt in D2 and making an impression in D1? Don't tell me they can't compete. (edit: and granted it was a long time ago, but in 1989, Suncoast Sound made finals with <100 members, right?) ECJ ain't gonna dethrone the Cadets, but it'd still be nice to see what they could do in Quarters if given the chance.

thanks for the clarification on size.

Acadamie aside, the corps from D2/3/A/A60 that got the fartherst in quarters were in the years DCi barely had 17 true D1 corps.

i agree they should get a shot, but now to do so they have to go D1, and sorry that isn;'t for everyone

... and sorry that isn;'t for everyone

That's the problem, though -- the opportunity for higher placement should be available for everyone. Corps should be able to compete no matter what, and without having to worry about the consequences of placing higher.

It should be simply "the better corps places higher", not "the better corps places higher and suddenly has to choose to gamble on getting enough cash and members together to compete in a new division for a season that doesn't start for another nine months". It blew my mind when I found out that DCI was doing this.

my sorry that wasn'tfor everyone is in reference to doing D1 the way it has to be done..meaning the tour etc. Sure they have the regional corps, but til one of them makes finals, the jusy is out on that.

for some corps, D2 is a much more affordable way to run the corps.

As it stands, many people have said that Division 2 is an inferior experience -- not in the drum corps part, but to paraphrase, "that DCI only cares about D1 corps".

If D2 is such a red-headed stepchild, why shouldn't it be dissolved?

Didn't really read the whole thread and I don't count on it tonight, I'm too tired.

But for anyone who feels that way, they need to sit down and watch the top Div. II (& III) corps from Grand Finals this year - that's my only counterargument. B)

Div. I isn't for everybody. I started my junior corps career in a new, 2nd-year Div. II corps and I will finish my junior corps career aging out in that same Div. II corps. Wouldn't have it any other way... :)