So how did the Ludwig drums hold up this summer?

DCIFanOfAllDivisions

Rick, You are rarely right but in this case, judging by the lack of reviews, it must be that they do suck. LOL

[/quo

Doh !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I've found some pretty positive reviews from members using them... sure some problems here and there but they are working to fix those (like Dynasty did at first) and why they are in drum corps again... trying to get back up there competiting with all the others

OK....let's hear the positive reviews !

times are sure different...i remember when ludwig was king...they were the ones who developed the entire concept of marching percussion (tonal bass drums, multi-tenors, die-cast hoops, etc.) but as other companies rose, they were left holding their piece of history. At one time Ludwig put more DCI corps in the top 12 and still hold the record for more high percussion trophies.

when it comes down to it, sound quality is almost the same on all equipment, but product quality/customer service is something entirely different.

Dev's are still having evident problems with Dynasty...they are not that easy to work with and dont sound too good...although Dynasty was smart to implement their marketing program with the Dev's...it helps sell 'em.

Dev's have always had controversy with percussion manufactuers...

in 85, their percussion truck caught fire and they received a new battery from Ludwig a few days before finals week...then they turned around and went with Yamaha the next year (better deal, i guess)...then in 87, they put the ludwig die cast hoops on the yamaha drums, because they were better quality...in 89, they marched the Premier free floaters and put a yamaha sticker on the front (it would take yamaha to create its free floater 4 years later)....lol....then again, this was typical Tom Float...the quality was always more important than the politics.

All in all, back to the subject, some of the Ludwig lines i heard sounded decent....i disagree on Bass projection...i have heard examples otherwise...but this always depends on tuning, dampening, muffling, playing technique....what i dont know is....how did the equipment hold up? are they like dynasty and need to be replaced every few weeks or did they make the season?

Edited by DaKman

in 89, they marched the Premier free floaters and put a yamaha sticker on the front (it would take yamaha to create its free floater 4 years later)....lol....then again, this was typical Tom Float...the quality was always more important than the politics.

BD had to use Premier snares because Yamaha's free floating design wasn't done yet. At that time Yamaha was in the process or might have already completed buying out Premier in England. Premier had already designed and completed a free floater for pipe bands. These could easily be used in the drum corps activity. So they slapped some Yamaha stickers on the Premiers and had a grand time.

BD had to use Premier snares because Yamaha's free floating design wasn't done yet. At that time Yamaha was in the process or might have already completed buying out Premier in England. Premier had already designed and completed a free floater for pipe bands. These could easily be used in the drum corps activity. So they slapped some Yamaha stickers on the Premiers and had a grand time.

think i cleared that one up already...but thanks for the recap

I thought the tenors sounded AMAZING...I dunno I just love that sound. Pearl and Ludwig tenors are my favorite!

times are sure different...i remember when ludwig was king...they were the ones who developed the entire concept of marching percussion (tonal bass drums, multi-tenors, die-cast hoops, etc.) but as other companies rose, they were left holding their piece of history. At one time Ludwig put more DCI corps in the top 12 and still hold the record for more high percussion trophies.

It was kind of sad to see Bill Ludwig presenting the DCI trophy to the Madison Scouts in 1988, one of the corps he had furnished just four years earlier. Atlanta was the only corps on the field that night still using Ludwigs. Not that many years earlier a majority had Ludwigs.

when it comes down to it, sound quality is almost the same on all equipment, but product quality/customer service is something entirely different.

The big factor here is R & D and capital improvement, in my view. Evidently Ludwig didn't have the economic muscle, even under Selmer, to retool as frequently and extensively as Pearl or Yamaha did.

Dev's are still having evident problems with Dynasty...they are not that easy to work with and dont sound too good...although Dynasty was smart to implement their marketing program with the Dev's...it helps sell 'em.

They don't look all that great either. Soundwise, the snares remind me of those square, cardboard-tasting apples you get at the supermarket -- no juice.

Dev's have always had controversy with percussion manufactuers...

in 85, their percussion truck caught fire and they received a new battery from Ludwig a few days before finals week...then they turned around and went with Yamaha the next year (better deal, i guess)...then in 87, they put the ludwig die cast hoops on the yamaha drums, because they were better quality...in 89, they marched the Premier free floaters and put a yamaha sticker on the front (it would take yamaha to create its free floater 4 years later)....lol....then again, this was typical Tom Float...the quality was always more important than the politics.

You're the only person I've seen mention the '85 incident. I thought that going with Yamaha the next year was disgraceful. It had to have been tough for Bill to see the '86 Blue Devils juggernaut tear through the season on someone else's drums. Yamaha purchased Premier and owned them for a time, so I believe the '89 free floaters were a legitimate hybrid.

It was kind of sad to see Bill Ludwig presenting the DCI trophy to the Madison Scouts in 1988, one of the corps he had furnished just four years earlier. Atlanta was the only corps on the field that night still using Ludwigs. Not that many years earlier a majority had Ludwigs.

The big factor here is R & D and capital improvement, in my view. Evidently Ludwig didn't have the economic muscle, even under Selmer, to retool as frequently and extensively as Pearl or Yamaha did.

They don't look all that great either. Soundwise, the snares remind me of those square, cardboard-tasting apples you get at the supermarket -- no juice.

You're the only person I've seen mention the '85 incident. I thought that going with Yamaha the next year was disgraceful. It had to have been tough for Bill to see the '86 Blue Devils juggernaut tear through the season on someone else's drums. Yamaha purchased Premier and owned them for a time, so I believe the '89 free floaters were a legitimate hybrid.

wow, im impressed, you are really up on it...for me, i always enjoyed hearing the stories and getting the extra edition news flashes about some of the product lines....we totally see eye to eye on the dynastys...and no, their asthetics do not do much for me....even if you can get by that "cardboard" sound.

when i was helping start carolina crown...we received "used" ludwigs from florida wave (think they last used them in 88)...they were in such poor condition...unusable...on the upside, Ludwig just recently moved their manufacturing HQ to a local town in NC, right outside charlotte...a represenative gave me a personal tour thru the plant and even showed me the drums they were specially making for spirit that year.

After they had "refurbished/renovated" the Florida wave drums for us, we were convinced, although ludwig officially denied it, that we received a completely new set of drums for our upcoming season - i know they were all new shells, hardware, snares, rims, etc...which make them brand new. Although, i went to another corps to staff, crown continued using ludwigs for the next 3 or 4 seasons. kudos to ludwig and their interest in a small, new, "i think i can" local starter corps...they were there went they didnt have to be...

I always enjoyed the sound from spirit's line and their ludwig line...tenors were just awesome! Mike Back, ex-spirit caption head, is now the head band director at walton high school in atlanta and still endorses ludwig...his school enjoys the newest products made available from ludwig/selmer.

thank you for your comment dmfootworks, interesting to chat about the "behind-the-scenes" trivia of the 80's drum wars.

Edited by DaKman