So how did the Ludwig drums hold up this summer?

DCIFanOfAllDivisions

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we've had a full summer of Ludwig drums back in DCI... how did they fare? They sounded pretty good but lets hear how they really did?

Not for nothing....but I think that after everyone was spouting-off at just how wonderful these drums

were, and how many NEW inovations there were, and how the company was working with these people to make sure the technology was competitive with the big 3 brands....I think they're somewhat embarrased

to respond !

Why would they be embarrassed? Were there problems?

Why would they be embarrassed? Were there problems?

Would love to hear from the kids that used them !

Rick,

I spoke with Jay Scherpa from Statesmen '03/'04 and The Magic '05. He said they were decent, much better than the old black Ludwigs that Statesmen had. Not as many popped lugs, better rack system, just the typical upgrades. Sound wise still the same and many heads breaking. Bearing edge too sharp possibly? Meh...either way I wouldn't touch them with your sticks Rick! hahahaha

anymore reports..

I used Ludwig drums in college in the mid to late 90's and I saw both Southwind and Magic this summer. Considering how everyone was saying thses drums were the next great thing, they don't look any different to me at all.

Their bass drums still do not project, I saw no massive redesigning or any re-designing in their snares at all. Based on what I have read people say, it looks like they blew smoke up our butts thinking that they would be radically different. If they want to be able to compete with the "big boys" they need to do a complete re-design of their drums along with a "major" endorsement similar to what Dynasty did.

I personally don't like Dynasty drums but they released a new upgraded product along w/ the Blue Devils endorsement that suddenly made them cool enough for a ton of high schools to buy their equipment.

I don't see that out of Ludwig yet. They are a part of the Selmer corporation so why not do a package deal for a corps for horns and percussion. I like their Musser keyboards and I always have.

I used Ludwig drums in college in the mid to late 90's and I saw both Southwind and Magic this summer. Considering how everyone was saying thses drums were the next great thing, they don't look any different to me at all.

Their bass drums still do not project, I saw no massive redesigning or any re-designing in their snares at all. Based on what I have read people say, it looks like they blew smoke up our butts thinking that they would be radically different. If they want to be able to compete with the "big boys" they need to do a complete re-design of their drums along with a "major" endorsement similar to what Dynasty did.

I personally don't like Dynasty drums but they released a new upgraded product along w/ the Blue Devils endorsement that suddenly made them cool enough for a ton of high schools to buy their equipment.

I don't see that out of Ludwig yet. They are a part of the Selmer corporation so why not do a package deal for a corps for horns and percussion. I like their Musser keyboards and I always have.

They DID do package deals with both Southwind and Magic...as far as I know !

Your're right as far as not seeing any NEW improvements though, but be careful...I was spanked on

this forum for telling the truth ! I don't know who they're protecting, but I basically told the BIG SHOT drum guys that were praising Ludwig for all the new inovations that they were 'full of crap'. And now we know this for a fact...Gawd, I love being RIGHT !

Rick, You are rarely right but in this case, judging by the lack of reviews, it must be that they do suck. LOL