How is Kiwanis doing

PeeJay

I've kinda become the public mouthpiece for KK, so I'll try and clear some things up the best I can. But also know, I'm just a member and I dont say anything really officially. The reply coming from Doug puts things best. At the end of the year last year, there was more hype and excitement than I had ever felt in my 3 years there. Everyone was talking about returning and how great the next year could be. The selling of equipment thing, well, we got more or less screwed over by Dynasty last year and I think the intention is to rid ourselves of their endorsement. I could be wrong though. Wouldnt be the first time. :) As of today a few staff announcements were made on the website, along with the more public showing of the newest logo, which I really dig. The corps is alive and well and really the only thing missing is the numbers. The staff has done a fantastic job taking care of members in my 5 years I've known the corps, through KK and the former indoor drumline SPYE, and recruiting has been a major push for the offseason. I know Noel Alvarez has talked about his return to KK which should really help making what is usually a good drumline, even better. No telling what the season may bring, but it's always a great experience and I'd recommend it to anybody not sure where they want to march.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The year you guys merge with the Thunder, you had a full size corps. Since then, the membership has been going downward. Is it because of BAC or maybe something else? Florida is like Texas with much talent to go around. I love to see KK full size like they were 3 years ago. Good luck for 2006.

I which you guys would hold some auditions in the Tidewater Norfolk, VA Beach area. Virginia badly needs a junior corps and this area has some great college & high school Marching Bands. This is an untaped area for drum corps. Every year this region has a well supported DCI show. KK would easy pick up 20-30 members each year if auditions were scheduled throughout the fall & springs season. The most important part is, NO COMPETITION from other drum corps. Plus, the good part is VA belonging to KK without a lot of competition from near by corps like FL. I think FL is still a great place for KK base operation, but please don't overlook holding auditions in Tidewater Norfolk, VA Beach area because I love to see KK back with a full size corps. Also, forgot....................................plenty top income in this area.

Check out Kavies Staff updates for the upcoming season...

http://www.kavaliers.com/staff/index.php

Leigh will do amazing things for Kavies colour guard program. Jason's back on board too!

Dutch Boy's Brass Arranger/Caption Head and Colourguard writer both with Kiwanis now. :rolleyes:

The biggest reason for the fall in membership in my opinion, is that people use KK to get dci div. 1 experience, so they can bolt to BAC or even Magic or wherever. Last year we lost upwards of 15 horn players and guard to magic, some within weeks of our move in. A lot of people are more interested in a score than a great experience. And not to wish ill on Dutch Boy, but if a lot of those members follow Jason and Leigh to KK, maybe KK will catch some people off guard this summer. Dutch Boy had some great talent last year and those people, along with a strong return of Vets could be awesome for the corps. The drumline has been VERY good the past few years and with a few amazing drummers returning after stints with other corps, who knows who may follow. Maybe things are falling in line?

Interesting new logo - I like it

Hey, I wish KK the best of luck but lets not get stupid about being full. I marched here in 2002 and the only reason we had 133 on the field was because of the Thunder members that were loyal to our director and followed him to KK. After 2002 he was kind of pushed to the side and the slide started! I think a health issue was to blame.

In 2000 the Thunder had 51 members, 2001 97 members and at the 2002 Thunder auditions, we had almost 200 attend. Those years were the BEST years I ever marched followed by this past summer with Magic. Another full corps with Magic this summer! Jimmy's the Bomb! Thanks for letting me age out under your direction. I also know alot of good people that went on to be in top 12 corps that woudn't have if a certain person didn't expose drum corps to us at his expense. Feel free to chip in here guys......

I will be a fan of KK and Magic as an alumni and a Florida Drum Corps fan but to be honest, people shouldn't change things of there not broke! Where you finish isn't everything! How you are treated is IMO.

Nate

2000 Thunder

2001 Thunder

2002 KK

2005 Magic - Age out