Favorite DCA Soloist

Mark can play better than most of the guys mentioned on here. Not only can he scream above double C with ease, but his real strength is his bebop jazz technique and creativity. Playing next to him let me know that he is a much better player than he ever gets credit for. He has a great jazz sound even in the lower range of his instruments.

I mean there was Roland and Alex that obviously could wail...Scott that has a great sound...then there was Mark, who could do everything that he needed to do with his horn. Mark is underrated on this thread IMHO.

Donny

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to talk about underrated soloists, I'll give you a few names: Rich Duarte(a professional drummer who just happens to be a very creative and consistent sop soloist), Brian Hodkins(former RCR & '93-'94 Freelancer sop soloist), Chris Nalls(played both a french horn and mellophone solo in the '05 show), and even though Roland has been mentioned a few times in this thread, he can do more than just "wail", his accuracy is just incredible.

I also have to give props to the three other guys who stood out front with Roger and the Brass. Those guys were on fire this past year!

If you want to talk about underrated soloists, I'll give you a few names: Rich Duarte(a professional drummer who just happens to be a very creative and consistent sop soloist), Brian Hodkins(former RCR & '93-'94 Freelancer sop soloist), Chris Nalls(played both a french horn and mellophone solo in the '05 show), and even though Roland has been mentioned a few times in this thread, he can do more than just "wail", his accuracy is just incredible.

I also have to give props to the three other guys who stood out front with Roger and the Brass. Those guys were on fire this past year!

Indeed!

You too Larrie!

:worthy:

Edited by Gary Matczak

Larrie!

You should have mentioned that one of those 'other' guys out front with Roger was Todd Tanji (81-82 BD) along with Ray Vasquez (PR 91-92(?))and Andy Classen (Rivermen alum - and MBI drill writer/ brass arranger since the late 80's) Roger had some pretty decent company, but your list is comparable, including yourself sir!

Pat

Larrie!

You should have mentioned that one of those 'other' guys out front with Roger was Todd Tanji (81-82 BD) along with Ray Vasquez (PR 91-92(?))and Andy Classen (Rivermen alum - and MBI drill writer/ brass arranger since the late 80's) Roger had some pretty decent company, but your list is comparable, including yourself sir!

Pat

Thanks Pat! I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know Ray & Andy's names, but I still wanted to mention them anyways!

Mark can play better than most of the guys mentioned on here. Not only can he scream above double C with ease, but his real strength is his bebop jazz technique and creativity.

Mark's the real deal, no doubt about it.

Heard him play a jazz-club gig in the Baltimore area a couple of years ago.... he was outstanding. But he came up to us after the gig and said he had an "off night." There are plenty of players out there who would kill to have one of Mark's "off nights."

Fran

:drool:

Larrie!

Pat

So, I was chatting with the wife last night and shared the dream that if I won the lottery I could practice my horn for hours every day and maybe have a lottery's chance of ever playing like any of the artists mentioned in this thread. It is a gift. Now, as a marching member of the corps, I appreciate and respect people's feelings about "pit sop's". But, just to be able to play in a show with those guys (Roger Grupp, Ray Vasquez, Andy Classen and Todd Tanji) was really a treat. And, they are all truly great great people.

Genvieve Danis from Brigs is the most incredible musician I have ever played in an ensemble with! Gorgeous tone! (like buttah). I didnt know a baritone bugle could sound that rich.

Sops would have to be Curt. I marched with him in Steel City in 1989-90, and when I heard him playing in Cabs I couldn't believe how great he sounded! A nod to all the horn guys from General Butler that were fantastic (Curt, Ed Lewis, Pat Cavanaugh, Rabbit and their teacher...RIGGIE!) Man, what was in the water up there in Butler?

Put Pat Cavanaugh down for best french horn....He made that piece of junk horn sound musical! He and Curt were DCI solo champs the same year! (late 70s or early 80s; I cant remember). He needs to get his BUTT to Steel City Alumni!

Mellos....hmmm....I sure liked the guy from Cru in 1993??? I know he was Dan Shyne's brother (oooo....Dan...another great baritone soloist!)

Edited by cru3rdbari