Favorite DCA Soloist

Just to add my favorite to this list:

Frank Ponzo - he has the truest, purest sound throughout all ranges of the horn, plus he is just an all around great guy and he is very passionate about his playingand it shows.

PS: To Christine from Brigs.......... thank you for being added to your list. I enjoyed playing the ballad in 2004. It was nice to know someone else got the same feeling, as it also gave me chills every time I played it. I had the same feeling playing Stormy Weather back in 1986 with Steel City.

To Donny: thanks for your kind words as well, it means alot coming from a great horn player and motivator

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
George Del Monte from the Cabs . He was in the corps in the 70s and was incredible. Now, he is retired, but I had the pleasure to meet him at the Post. I kept calling him Mr. Del Monte :blush:

He is still my favorite soloist whether he is competing today or not....somethings are timeless !

"Fave DCA Soloists":

Going back "Just a few decades" my pretties:

Artie Hylya, Connecticut Hurricanes

Riggie Laus, Pittsburgh Rockets

Ricky Gentile, Baltimore Yankee Rebels

Ray Eyler, Archer Epler Musketeers

Bob Gaff, Baltimore Yankee Rebels

Bill Hightower, Long Island Sunrisers

Ken Peterson, Geneva Appleknockers

Tom Swan, New York Skyliners

Tommy Matrin, New York Skyliners

"Pepe" Nataro, New York Skyliners

"Hy" Drietzer, New York Skyliners

There are many, many more from that great "era" of senior drum corps. I apologize for not being able to remember them all.

Elphaba

I agree with all the great names on the previous posts...Pepe, Boots, DA, DeMeo, Ponzo, et. al.

But, I remember marching with Scott Shyne in Crusaders. Even though he was a soprano player, he did a mellophone solo on "God Bless the Child" that was so beautiful that when he came off the the field at Scranton, Ziggy Kanstul walked up and just gave him a brand new horn!!!!!

I think Scott won best soloist that year.

Bill Clark

Edited by TealSoundBrass

Steve Fausnacht played the perfect solo at finals this year on tuba.... granted it was only one note, but man was it sweet! :)

Just to add my favorite to this list:

Frank Ponzo - he has the truest, purest sound throughout all ranges of the horn, plus he is just an all around great guy and he is very passionate about his playingand it shows.

PS: To Christine from Brigs.......... thank you for being added to your list. I enjoyed playing the ballad in 2004. It was nice to know someone else got the same feeling, as it also gave me chills every time I played it. I had the same feeling playing Stormy Weather back in 1986 with Steel City.

To Donny: thanks for your kind words as well, it means alot coming from a great horn player and motivator

Well I would need a recording of that 1986 performance, because in 86, I was 7 years old, and didn't know what drum corps was... :P

That is OK because my best year as a soloist may have been 1975 or 1976.

Donny