If it was said once it needs to be said again

I have talked to alot of people in this new college/highschool that i'm going to and have heard from kids around my age (16-18) that have no exposure to drum corps besides PBS and ESPN2. They have said that the Cavaliers are the "cleanest" (coolest) and most "hard-co'" and can rarely identify any of the other corps. There's something appealing to drum corps noobs about raw athleticism and coolocity and the Cavaliers definitely hit that target with 2002. I look at all the comments about there being no "emotion" in the corps. Do you honestly think that after spending that much time with a group of people there would be no emotion whatsoever? Did you ever think that maybe the plan was to look professional and disciplined instead of a partaking in a free spirited lovefest? The "hook" that some people have to corps that they have stuck with for a while surely cannot deny the immense popularity of the Frameworks and the impact it has made on modern drum corps and marching band. The vast number of marching bands that imitated Fight Club the years following is clear cut evidence of how it has affected the youth band scene. I thank the people who, although still having their own personal preferences, have given the Cavaliers the respect they have continued to deserve. To those that simply knock it, I suggest you get out of the rock you've been under and appreciate what the corps has done to raise the bar for this activity.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm, yeah... i still think the show is boring. and the only thing it raised the bar for was visual development.

sorry, it just doesn't strike me as groundbreaking/trendsetting from a musical standpoint. unless the new trend is to repeat the same melody over and over again and bore the audience into submission.

once again, these are just my thoughts. no one else's.

Well.....I am one fan who feels that most of the music from the Cavies 2002 show WAS boring. Very well performed....but from an arrangement and design standpoint.....boring.

Let me just ask you one question......what was more exciting musically......the Cavaliers opener from 2002 or the Cadets Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy ??

The Cavaliers play with a controlled machine like approach most of the time.......arent things that are out of control/on the edge more exciting ??

Triple Forte

I really think that if you (in general) know something about music, and I mean know something about the structure of music and the way they explored it in the show... you wouldn't say it was boring. still my opinion... the design standpoint was boring? If you think so, what isn't boring?

most exciting moment of that show? the big chord at the end of the ballad. I think that's the best explanation of why cavaliers' brass doesn't belong to this planet. that brass-only fermato... priceless.

you can be out of control / on the edge when the show asks it... that show didn't need it. or maybe just a few right before the fight club.

but let me say... if you're always out of control / on the edge... IMO means that you just can't control, that you can't match, that you can't build balance...

I LOVE the way cavaliers sound, because they "endorse" concepts that make them just better than any other corps... they've been showing this since 2002 and year after year got better...

Although it's certainly migh-tee good, it's still not 1986 Blue Devils.

Cavies 2002 show was amazing and to me changed the style drum corps today and yes i loved the 86 blue devils show as well

Edited by Snapps

completely disagree... there's only a few shows that you can compare to 2002 cavaliers... and it's 02, 03, 04 and 05 cavaliers.

i don't get why cavaliers fans so ardently defend their corps and think that they're the most amazing corps of all time and no one else canr come close.

yes, their string of shows from 00-05 are pretty amazing. some of them i don't like, some of them i love. But i just don't see them being that much better or ground-breaking than some other shows from that same era.

And as far as all-time, i think that there are other shows that were more innovative for their time than cavies' shows have been for their time.

Edited by TTitans909

I really think that if you (in general) know something about music, and I mean know something about the structure of music and the way they explored it in the show...

I didn't realize I needed to be well-versed in theory or chordal structure to appreciate it. Guess it's back to school for me for my music theory degree so I can appreciate drum corps. ^0^

i don't get why cavaliers fans so ardently defend their corps and think that they're the most amazing corps of all time and no one else canr come close.

Oh, there have been plenty of similar posts from Garfield fans about Garfield (especially this year) and BD fans about BD. You just obviously disagree with these fans which is fine. It's your right. But, please don't make this out to be just a "Cavalier" thing.

Besides, there has been a lot of Cavalier bashing out there through recent years (many want to knock the mighty off the hill) so that only leads to more postings defending our position. Once the bashing goes away (hopefully never 'cause that means we are still winning) then the posts you mention will go away also.

Soon there will be plenty of Cadet bashing because many feel BD, Cavaliers and Cadets "win too much". You take the good with the bad when you win.

But which was more correct musically? Easily the Cavaliers.

To use the Cadets' own narrated quote against them..

"...that's music..."

I was not responding to or discussing "technical" aspects of the music......

The question was posed,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(FH4life @ Sep 30 2005, 05:53 PM)

how can some of you think that the music is booring... can't you hear the way they build tension and intensity and relax in their musical frases???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was responding to the statement above. I asked the poster what they felt was more musically "Exciting"...the Cavies 2002 opener or the Cadets playing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy......

Triple Forte

I really think that if you (in general) know something about music, and I mean know something about the structure of music and the way they explored it in the show... you wouldn't say it was boring. still my opinion... the design standpoint was boring? If you think so, what isn't boring?

I DO have some knowledge regarding music and chord development. As a matter of fact....I LOVE CHORDS to death.....(I write some of my own warmup-type chord progressions on my computer just for fun)

most exciting moment of that show? the big chord at the end of the ballad. I think that's the best explanation of why cavaliers' brass doesn't belong to this planet. that brass-only fermato... priceless.

Very nice effect indeed........but nothing unusual........The Garfield Cadets back in the mid to late 80's was always known to hold out a gorgeous brass-only chord in their ballads....which always brought a great amount of effect....the echo of sound was amazing....

you can be out of control / on the edge when the show asks it... that show didn't need it. or maybe just a few right before the fight club.

but let me say... if you're always out of control / on the edge... IMO means that you just can't control, that you can't match, that you can't build balance...

No drum corps show should be 'out of control' the entire time. But.....there are spots in a great number of shows that scream for a little extra.....

I like the fact the Cavaliers brass choir produces a rich, clean balance and tone.......

What I don't like is a sterile approach.......you have to let it hang out there just a little.....that is what drum corps (And marching music) is all about....feeding the crowd and then letting the crowd feed the corps.

I LOVE the way cavaliers sound, because they "endorse" concepts that make them just better than any other corps... they've been showing this since 2002 and year after year got better...

We obviously have differing opinions.......

Concepts are no where as important to me as a great tune being arranged and played in a exciting way.....

To quote Mike Cesario back in 1995......Madisons (show) is not a show that needs a concept ...they are the concept....we come to hear what they have to play........

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte