Hardest visual program to date?

I see everyone putting Star '93 (I agree!), but no one put Cadets '93. That drill, plus the MUSIC they were playing while marching it, I don't think it's been surpassed. Matched maybe, but not surpassed.

Those two shows back-to-back in the same year made my head spin.

I think Cadets '93 should be up there too. This is a little off topic, but my only problem with what they did visually that year is that it seems like there are a lot of halts when the difficult licks are played (granted the licks for cadets '93 would be hard to play sitting down).

Am I wrong, or does it seem that most corps are doing that these days? Nothing impresses me more than when a line lays down the hard parts while on the run.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that Cavalier drill, because it looks cool doesn't mean it's harder than other corps drill.

I was told that Cavalier drill, because it looks cool doesn't mean it's harder than other corps drill.

It doesn't mean it is, and it doesn't mean it isn't. Every drill is different. Every drill has its demands specific to that show. Every drill has its moments that are relatively easy specific to that show. And the same could also apply to each individual's personal drill...some people have more demanding drill than others IN THE SAME SHOW. So it's pretty foolish to judge a drill as "easy" or "hard." It's way more complex than that.

Also, demand of a drill and quality of a drill don't necessarily go hand in hand. I've seen some pretty difficult stuff over the years that was definitely hard for the performers to pull off. But it wasn't staged well and the transitions were poor. A whole lotta who cares.

Edited by rut-roh

And I was told (I think by TommySopranoContra himself) that you're not much of a Cavaliers fan. :P

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying Cavaliers simply because they look cool. I think they come to their decision after an examination of individual responsibility, velocity, endurance, and perhaps most importantly precision (those meshing forms like 2002's fugue, and 2005's traffic block, are dangerous!).

While we're on the topic, I see 2002-2004 getting a lot of mention, and rightfully so. I think 2003 might be the hardest of the set. But I might put 2001 second. That show was relentless, and I've heard vets say that the years both before and after were much easier in comparison to Four Corners.

Edited by Maedhros

I think Cadets '93 should be up there too. This is a little off topic, but my only problem with what they did visually that year is that it seems like there are a lot of halts when the difficult licks are played (granted the licks for cadets '93 would be hard to play sitting down).

Am I wrong, or does it seem that most corps are doing that these days? Nothing impresses me more than when a line lays down the hard parts while on the run.

I think that's what made your '93 show so great!

Cadets 1985. Jeremiah is hard enough to play sitting on one's butt.

-- They marched to the PHRASE

-- The field coverage was just sick! At one point, there were four horns playing while everyone was about 80-90 yds apart.

-- It was a 7-minute opener w/ one itty bitty 3-second stop.

-- It ended w/ a figure eight that inverted. The coolest part of that was the different speeds which parts of the form were marched. Certainly more ambitious than anything else I've seen/heard.

Cavies'/Cadets' 99's don't touch it. :worthy:

are we talking difficulty while playing or when not playing. it's much easier to march while not playing. i've noticed the cavaliers do their hardest drill while not playing and other corps, such as the cadets or scv, do their hardest drill while playing. for that reason i can't say that any cavies show had the hardest drill. i would say any early 90s cadets had the hardest drill. 92 and 93 wow.