Is Crown the new Star?

Crown = Star?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Is Crown the closest thing we have to Star nowadays?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will they be...?

• Yes
    • No

ok, so im wondering why everyone thinks that crown has a staff consisting of mosly star of indiana people,

So someone please tell me how crown has an all star.. star of indiana staff?

Since you quoted me, I'll go ahead and respond.

At no time did I say there was an "all star...Star of Indiana staff", simply that the folks who are there are helping to shape things...and there is a little influence from former Star members/staff, much like the way BD's visual went up when Todd Ryan came on board. I don't recall any attempt to paint Crown as the second coming of Star, nor, really, has anyone else excepting possibly the original poster.

I thought my post made that pretty clear.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shutting this down whilst I clean up all the off topic rubbish!

Reopened.

Keep it on topic and dont threadjack or it's closed for good.

It sounds like you're saying that the brass staff isn't really even there for most of the summer. Who's teaching them then? Oh and I believe Mr. Chreste was a member of Blast so I think he's studied under VanDoren before and has an understanding of the brass philosophy Star used.

Brian Tinkel didn't march Star of Indiana? Ummm I marched with the dude in '93. I bet he's not there for half the summer so I'll give him a half of a point (is that how you're scoring it). James Ancona? I guess he wasn't teaching the front ensemble when I was at Star either. He was probably never there so I'll give him zero points.

I'm not saying that Crown is the new Star, or that most of their staff came from Star (although most of the brass staff did), but if they keep their brass Staff intact, at bare minimum they will sound like Star and contend for Jim Ott in years to come.

actually i am saying that the people who were associated with star are there the least, i didnt say the entire brass staff wasnt there for the summer...its not up for argument...its the truth, ask anyone who marched this summer, notice no one from crown is arguing with the facts, and yes brian tinkle was only there for approximately half the summer and he only gets half a point because the drumline was 12th place. and jim ancona didnt really do much either, seth wrote the book and he and chris rapacki taught the front ensemble for the summer mostly. lastly blast is not star... that was part of my original point, and i wasnt accusing anyone in particular for starting rumors about crowns staff being all star... i was just trying to get the facts out to set everyone straight....just because someones name is on a staff list doesnt mean they are responsible for the success of the group, crown would be in the top 5 if there entire staff or essential staff would be there more than on weekends!

actually i am saying that the people who were associated with star are there the least, i didnt say the entire brass staff wasnt there for the summer...its not up for argument...its the truth, ask anyone who marched this summer, notice no one from crown is arguing with the facts

I'll argue... simply because your "facts" are not very factual... Matt was on tour for all but 2 weeks. There were also some very special people that came out of hiding for a few days to offer thier expert advice and opinions to the staff. But once again... since you know the facts I bet you know who those people were. The work they did with the corps probably doesnt count because it was a day or two here and there instead of all summer :sshh: . Geez what are you thinking??? A drum corps can't possibly learn anything worth while in two days (sarcasm off)!!! I would really love to know how you come across your facts.

To stay somewhat on topic... one thing in particular has bothered me about this thread. Several people have said, more than once, that Crown is not even close to where Star finished. Yes that is true... but everyone is forgetting the fact that even Star had to start somewhere (Mickey Mouse anyone?). People are looking over the progress that is being made and simply comparing the current version of Crown, to the final version of Star. If you are thinking in terms of Carolina Crown having some staff from Star, you can only technically go back to 2003 when Matt Harloff went to the organization. The "cream team" as it is lovingly refered to by some, was a turning point for Crown(not a bad recovery after 2002). Three years is hardly enough time to start pushing the envelope if you get what I am saying. I say give them another year or two and they will be able to accomplish anything.

I'll argue... simply because your "facts" are not very factual... Matt was on tour for all but 2 weeks. There were also some very special people that came out of hiding for a few days to offer thier expert advice and opinions to the staff. But once again... since you know the facts I bet you know who those people were. The work they did with the corps probably doesnt count because it was a day or two here and there instead of all summer :sshh: . Geez what are you thinking??? A drum corps can't possibly learn anything worth while in two days (sarcasm off)!!! I would really love to know how you come across your facts.

To stay somewhat on topic... one thing in particular has bothered me about this thread. Several people have said, more than once, that Crown is not even close to where Star finished. Yes that is true... but everyone is forgetting the fact that even Star had to start somewhere (Mickey Mouse anyone?). People are looking over the progress that is being made and simply comparing the current version of Crown, to the final version of Star. If you are thinking in terms of Carolina Crown having some staff from Star, you can only technically go back to 2003 when Matt Harloff went to the organization. The "cream team" as it is lovingly refered to by some, was a turning point for Crown(not a bad recovery after 2002). Three years is hardly enough time to start pushing the envelope if you get what I am saying. I say give them another year or two and they will be able to accomplish anything.

eerrrrrr wrong matt was definately not there way more than 2 weeks,pre tour was over three weeks long and he missed more than a week of that then he came in on weekends and missed lots of time for all of avons band camps. get your facts straight. secondly i dont think matt harloff in 2003 was the turning point of the corps the hornline has been terrible for those first 2 years only this year did they show any promise...the visual aspects and the colorguard have been dragging this corps along since 2003...not the hornline!

eerrrrrr wrong matt was definately not there way more than 2 weeks,pre tour was over three weeks long and he missed more than a week of that then he came in on weekends and missed lots of time for all of avons band camps. get your facts straight. secondly i dont think matt harloff in 2003 was the turning point of the corps the hornline has been terrible for those first 2 years only this year did they show any promise...the visual aspects and the colorguard have been dragging this corps along since 2003...not the hornline!

In 2003, I really wouldn't say that getting 9th in visual performance, and 11th in visual ensemble would be dragging the corps along. It's pretty clear that the corps would have been EXTREMELY hard-pressed to make finals if it wasn't for that colorguard.

Also, "the hornline has been terrible for those first 2 years, only this year did they show any promise?"

17.8 in 2004, 18.3 in 2005. Hardly a monumental leap. As far as sound goes, I don't even think that the overall achievement of the hornline was significantly greater than 2004. Both good, but the hornline was certainly not reborn in 2005...

Maybe I am off base thx3838, but why do you feel threatened by people who like Crown?

Please forgive me if I offend; I am simply responding as I see it.

Star was Star, and Crown is Crown.

It's comparisons like this that really fuel my temper.

It's comparisons like this that take away whatever

individual identity a corps has.

I'm so sick of corps being compared to this and

that. Why can't people just enjoy an organization

for who they are as opposed to whom they think

that they are? No wonder why so many drum corps

try to emulate the top 5.

Too much staff swapping, no individuality. All the

corps march the same, while a lot of them sound

the same.

Listen folks, I'm showing some age here; but when

I marched corps were known for who THEY were

and not WHOM they were like.

Let's appreciate Crown for who they are and the

great things that they are doing, and not how much

like a former, now deceased, corps that they may be

compared to.

I stated once... and I will state once again... that Matt Harloff was on TOUR for all but two weeks. Sorry buddy I WAS THERE. 2003 was a turning point for the organization... coming back with a 10th place finish after not making finals in 02 is hard work. I hate to burst you bubble but you really don't have a leg to stand on with your "facts". If Crown's hornline is so terrible why do people keep talking about it? Maybe you are just jealous because the world is not raving about your hornline. Matt Harloff is a great teacher and has the tools to start a brass legacy at Crown. IMO he is off to a great start. Your "facts" can't argue with the numbers from the past three years. I think it is quite funny that this thread actually threatens and offends people. I think it is a great compliment to the Star organization for them to know that people look to thier legacy as a guide.