Calling all St. Johns Alumni

Jeans and Tshirts? Well in that case let them change their name... it's good that they don't call themselves a drum and bugle corps if they're wearing Jeans and Tshirts!

Seriously... is this a major change in what the organization will be doing? Are they going to have a drum corps (as we know a drum corps to be) anymore?

I kinda get where your coming from and then I don't. What a corps wears doesn't sum up what and who the corps is. Jersey Surf didn't wear uniforms for3 years and they were very enteraining and very much a drum corps.

And I'm sure whatever ever decisions the administration of St. John's make will not hurt the corps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By drastic uniform changes I didn't mean changing a gauntlet here or a sash there...I've heard something along the lines of Jeans & T-Shirts...

Not very innovative if you ask me. :peek:

I kinda get where your coming from and then I don't. What a corps wears doesn't sum up what and who the corps is. Jersey Surf didn't wear uniforms for3 years and they were very enteraining and very much a drum corps.

And I'm sure whatever ever decisions the administration of St. John's make will not hurt the corps.

Are you talking about when Jersey Surf wore some different kind of outfit to go along with the theme of their show? I wasn't aware that they did that for 3 years. I don't think I've seen them since 2002. But they never did away completely with the old uniforms, did they?

I don't know exactly what the administration of St. Johns is thinking about doing. Perhaps we should wait till we hear more directly from them. Hopefully they'll update their website.

To be honest, the name change doesn't bother me too much. People talk of tradition- where is the tradition? Is it in the name St. John's or is it in the Drum & Bugle corps part attahced to the name? I would assume it's St. Johns. Even in the title of this post, Adam calls on St. John's Alumni, not St. Johns Drum & Bugle Corps Alumni. That part of the name isn't changing, nor is the organization changing from a Drum Corps to anything else. So where is the tradition lost? Is it just because St. John's will now potentially be called an innovated youth ensemble? geez, if anything that sounds good to me, if the purose of it is to round-up prospective new members and financial backing. That's great! Whatever get's kids into the activity up here in Ontario! i really don't think any tradition is lost. Tradition is in the hearts of the people involved in the organization. It's in what you do both on and off the field. and it's in the name St. Johns, which hasn't been lost.

As for the logo... ummmmm... to be polite, it could use some work. Oh and, try not to lose the uniforms, they look so good on the field!

Cheers

arno0940 Yesterday, 10:02 PM Post #15

" 55 years to be exact "

Well not exactly, they started in 1953 so that makes em ahh 52 Canada's second oldest competing corps :peek:

Name/Uniform Change Petition

Please only sign once. No fake names. Real names, real email addresses only. Let's get some serious numbers on this petition for the board meeting on October 17th.

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by Slow Adam

Thanks everyone who has signed so far.

15 signs in a little over an hour.

This seems like the right place to post my opinion. After being contacted by my fellow tenor brother Slow Adam. I was angry! So the first thing I did was go on the St. Johns web site, looked at the logo, and looked to see who is running the corps. So after hearing what I heard and seeing the name Sandy Wallace I was now confused?!?!?! So I called Sandy and George to get to the bottom of this. They both informed me on what is going on. When I heard the biggest uniform change they where thinking about was to which from the black gauntlets to the original white ones, I felt better! Now regarding the big name change. After hearing thier reasons, which were recruiting and to help raise funds which makes sense to me. When I started in Drum Corps there where over 12 corps in Ontario, and now there is 4. What ever Ontario corps can do to survive I am all for. There is a huge difference in the way people in Ontario look at drum corps then they do in the States. St. Johns will still be a Drum Corps they plan to compete, do parades and run like a drum corps. I am looking forward to hearing one of my favourite things this summer, which is when the announcer will say. “From Brantford Ontario Canada. St. Johns !!!!!!”

The funniest thing I find about this whole thing is the person who started this forum is a current drum instructor for the Hamilton Youth Performing Ensemble (Formally the Conqueror II Drum and Bugle Corps) Sorry Slow I had to mention that.