264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We see home runs described on sports pages as being "majestic," or a running back's way of elluding defenses as "a thing of beauty" or a pitcher's mastery of the strike zone "finesse." That's the parallel I was trying to draw, was that sports in our common descriptions and depictions often take on aesthetic qualities. Accomplishing these things in sports is a matter of determination and mastery of skills. I think it's the same in drum corps... you are given a set of things to accomplish on a field, and when you accomplish them, with the rest of your team behind (or with) you, it can be described as a "majestic" sound from the hornline; the precision with which the drumline played that lick was "a thing of beauty," and Phantom Regiment mastered their horn book with "finesse."

Ahh... I see what you were trying to say. But I disagree, I don't think this is a correct comparison. A running back who makes a "beautiful" run does not get extra yardage awarded to him by the referree because of its beauty. He gets the yards he gained.

A batter who hits a "majestic" home run does not get an extra run awarded to him by the umpire because of its majesty. He gets only the runs he batted in.

"Ugly" goals are worth just as much as "pretty" goals in hockey.

Kobe Bryant doesn't get more points per dunk than Yao Ming, no matter how much cooler Kobe's dunks look.

Ain't no points for style in sports. Style is pretty important to score points in drum corps, isn't it! "Style" is on LOTS of the sheets, right?

To those who say it isn't a sport, rather, it's art, would drum corps exist at its current level of excellence without competition? I would argue that it would not. The arts -- on stage, in galleries, etc. -- are excellent in and of themselves as unrated expressions of an artist. Creations independent, though influenced, of outside aspects. Although the masses might not allow us to call drum corps sport -- I don't really care if they do or not -- how, other than saying "because it's music," is it closer to art than sport?

Well without competition, we'd still have drum corps. But competition does drive people to be better, not just in drum corps but in many other things. So you're right in that drum corps would not exist at its current level of excellence without competition. And other art forms like theatre, visual art, cinema, etc. are partly influenced by competition as well (Oscars, Tony's, Grammy's, money, etc.). But that doesn't make them or drum corps sport.

Cannot an activity fit into two realms at the same time, sport and art? I say yes.

Yes

Personally, I don't consider baseball to be a sport, yet it is still considered one by everyone else. Does that change my outlook? No, and I think the same can be applied to this.

I suppose you could compare us to WGI since they call themselves "the sport of the Arts"...even though I don't totally agree with some of their versions of artsy marching performance.

Based on length of the show, and adding temperature and physical demand, drum corps is defninately more demanding of an activity than WGI...so yeah, I'd consider it to be a sport I guess.

I'd rather put it in its own category.

Ah yes, a category of its own...sport/art...spart! B)

I believe the word "exfoliate" means to rob a bank. And don't bother to quote the dictionary to me, because I'd rather state that the dictionary is wrong than admit I'm wrong! :ph34r:

Ok, here's a skit with John Lovitz as the pathological liar from SNL!

John Lovitz: Drum corps is certainly not a sport!

friend: But drum corps clearly fits the definition of "sport" in the dictionary!

John Lovitz: Well.....umm.....the dictionary's wrong! Yeah, that's the ticket....

Now let's hear from Monty Python's argument clinic!

client: Drum corps is a sport!

John Cleese: No it isn't.

client: Yes it is!

John Cleese: No it isn't.

client: Yes it is! Look, I've got the dictionary right here. It clearly states that a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively!

John Cleese: No it doesn't.

client: (becoming agitated) Yes it does!! And drum corps clearly fits into that definition!

client: Yes it does!

client: YES IT DOES!! Look, you can't state the dictionary is wrong just because it disproves your theory!

John Cleese: Yes I can.

client: No you can't!

client: NO YOU CAN'T!!

client: This is stupid! I'm going back to the "being hit on the head" lessons!

John Cleese: No you're not.

client: Oh shut up! (storms out of the office)

:lolhit:

Response:

SPORTS like diving, gymnastics and figure skating have scores based SOLEY on opinion, Just like drum corps.

who said i consider those a sport?