is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

who said i consider those a sport?

It does not matter whether or not you consider them sports. They are sports. They are run and governed by the sporting world. The scores are based purely on subjective opinions, just like drum corps. There is essentially no difference between their competitions and a drum corps competition.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUSIC PERFORMANCE.

Big difference.

Sorry, I'll bow out now. :)

You don't have to bow out. Your opinion is just as valid as mine, even if we disagree.

Speaking of disagreeing...

drum corps, music performance

figure skating, dance performance

Really, what's the difference. Music is considered an art as is dance/skating. Figure skating is a sport, so where's the difference. Is it just that there's a horn in front of someone's face?

It does not matter whether or not you consider them sports. They are sports. They are run and governed by the sporting world. The scores are based purely on subjective opinions, just like drum corps. There is essentially no difference between their competitions and a drum corps competition.

Who is the sporting world? Do they have a holy father or a president or a king or something like that?

Figure skating is run by the US figure skating association or whatever the name of it is. There's probably also an international organization that governs figure skating as well. And they choose to call themselves a sport. There's a SEPARATE organization that governs gymnastics, there's a separate organization for every separate sport or activity. Some choose to call themselves sport, some don't. Whoever governs the national spelling bee chooses not to refer to spelling bee as sport. I don't think the American Kennel Club chooses to refer to their dog shows as sport either.

WGI chooses to refer to winterguard as sport ("sport of the arts"), and I'm not entirely sure that DCI or DCA have chosen to refer to drum corps as sport.

Just because they call themselves a sport doesn't mean we have to blindly accept that it is a sport.

70% yes? :laugh:

The answer is No. It's a performing art. Is ballet a sport? No. A performing art. Being on a football field doesn't make drum corps a sport either. If I take football and put it on a theater stage, is it a performing art? No.

Next....

70% yes? :laugh:

The answer is No. It's a performing art. Is ballet a sport? No. A performing art. Being on a football field doesn't make drum corps a sport either. If I take football and put it on a theater stage, is it a performing art? No.

Next....

LMAO!!

Actually, I think last year they had a WNBA game played at Radio City Music Hall on the stage due to a scheduling conflict with Madison Square Garden. So just ask the players involved whether they think it was sport or performing art.. lol

Who is the sporting world? Do they have a holy father or a president or a king or something like that?

Figure skating is run by the US figure skating association or whatever the name of it is. There's probably also an international organization that governs figure skating as well. And they choose to call themselves a sport. There's a SEPARATE organization that governs gymnastics, there's a separate organization for every separate sport or activity. Some choose to call themselves sport, some don't. Whoever governs the national spelling bee chooses not to refer to spelling bee as sport. I don't think the American Kennel Club chooses to refer to their dog shows as sport either.

WGI chooses to refer to winterguard as sport ("sport of the arts"), and I'm not entirely sure that DCI or DCA have chosen to refer to drum corps as sport.

Just because they call themselves a sport doesn't mean we have to blindly accept that it is a sport.

What about the International Olympic Committee? They are not a figure skating committee. They are not a gymnastics committee. They are not a diving committee. They are a world sports committee. And figure skating, gymnastics and diving are some of the main sports they have. So, it's not just the activities themselves that call themselves sports. World sporting agencies consider these activities sports.

Where's your Holy Father that says they are not sports? Bob Costas?

OK..... I'll be the one to finally sit on the fence :wall: ...... It's an artistic athletic event.

THANK YOU!!! That's what I've been trying to say!! :rolleyes::blink::blink: Therefore, if I call it a sport, I am referring to the athletic competition aspect. It is sport and a performing art. That's one of the things that makes drum corps so great. It is more than one thing.

Isn't that pretty much how DCI has been marketing it for quite a while now?

Edited by ekleve