is drum corps a sport?

is drum corps a sport?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. is drum corps a sport?

• yes
    • no

QUOTE(DrumCorpsFan27 @ Oct 9 2005, 12:34 PM)

Response:

SPORTS like diving, gymnastics and figure skating have scores based SOLEY on opinion, Just like drum corps.

IF you consider those activities to be sports. Some people do not, because scores are based on opinion, and I think they have a good point.

So if some Tom, Dick or Harry doesn't consider something a sport, it is not? I don't think so. The three activities I mentioned are governed by international sporting agencies. They are advertised and presented as sports. The performers are considered athletes and required to follow the rules and policies of the international sporting world, just the same as track athletes. They are sports no matter what you say.

Because it's not good to call our activity something that it is not.

I am not calling it something it is not. It is a sport, even if you don't want it to be one.

If the people who ran WWE tried to market its product as "sport", people would not take it seriously at all. It would be a joke because everyone and their mom can tell that it's fake, that it's scripted and it's stunts. But they call it "sports entertainment", and people can take it seriously as entertainment and not "sport", even though they know it's scripted acting and stunts.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. There is no competition and the winners are scripted. The performers, although going through rigorous physical training, do not compete, they perform. However, the other form of wrestling, the one where athletes actually compete in weight classes, is a sport. Oh, and by the way, wrestlers are governed by the same international rules and regulations as gymnists, divers and figure skaters.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the major sports do want people to think of them as entertainment and market it as such. I am sure people are very entertained by figure skating and the like.

Many of the new rules passed in the new NHL contract was done for the paying audience, not the "performers".

I don't know that calling drum corps a sport does make it any better. I call it a sport because it is one. That simple. How does insisting that drum corps is not a sport make it any better?

Saying drum corps is not a sport is merely responding to the situation as it is in the world today. As stated earlier, drum corps has never been recognized as a sport, and chances are it never will. And it hasn't lost one bit of its greatness in doing so. I suppose one can live in denial and insist otherwise, but they would have a hard time convincing the masses outside of the activity that what they're saying is true. They'd also have a tough time convincing many IN the activity who don't think it's a sport. Why would anyone expect the world to view us as a sport when we can't even make up our own minds about it??

The essential foundation of what drum corps is can be defined as performing music while interpreting it visually at the same time. Competition? Most of the time. Choroegraphed movement? Yes. Music performed by the participants? Yes. Athletic? Sometimes, but definitely not always. Sport? Absolutely not. The second you start talking about music performance as being fundamental to what defines the activity, you can stop talking about sport.

After careful review of this, I truly believe it is a matter of preference. Some people believe that Figure Skating, Golf, Tennis and Monster Trucks are sports and some do not. I for one consider drum corps to be one, but if there are people that don't believe it to be, then that is fine to. It's really nothing to argue, just preference. People will justify what they believe on this topic no matter which way it goes.

so your saying that football players play football to compet and not for entertainment.....and drum corps members play to entertain and not for competition?

i like to entertain but i think that many drum corps members are in it to achive the ultimate goal and that it to try to be #1 or the best you can be....

As far as football goes... I can't fully believe that they're all there solely to compete. Yes it's a huge part of football, but why do people go to football games? People go to football games to see the touchdown dances and the half-naked cheerleaders, and to have a few beers while the old team plays. That sounds to me like entertainment.. not so much the cheerleader part, but you get my point.

Now as far as drumcorps goes... I highly doubt that most of the people in drum corps are there to be number 1.. speaking from personal experience, but yes to being the best you can be, but knowing the best you can be is not always the best. Yeah its nice to win, but year after year, only one champion is crowned (sometimes two :P ). All you can do is be the best you can be, and most people realize that its not all about being crowned champion. The corps I've been with the past two years was created for the sole purpose of entertainment. The reason I do drumcorps is to entertain and to hear the crowd response.

Both are sports entertainment to me..

And yes, I think drum corps is a sport. I have to be more physically fit for my upcoming season than I was after 4 years of high school soccer. I do realize there's more to a sport than being physically fit, but I'll echo what somebody else said on here: You need the mind of a golfer, the strength of a running back, and the endurance of a marathon runner, plus some more things I can't remember :laugh: .. And the fact that I could out-run most of the track team, soccer team, and football team kind of helps out too.

Edited by Bari2Euphoni5

Saying drum corps is not a sport is merely responding to the situation as it is in the world today. As stated earlier, drum corps has never been recognized as a sport, and chances are it never will. And it hasn't lost one bit of its greatness in doing so. I suppose one can live in denial and insist otherwise, but they would have a hard time convincing the masses outside of the activity that what they're saying is true. They'd also have a tough time convincing many IN the activity who don't think it's a sport. Why would anyone expect the world to view us as a sport when we can't even make up our own minds about it??

The essential foundation of what drum corps is can be defined as performing music while interpreting it visually at the same time. Competition? Most of the time. Choroegraphed movement? Yes. Music performed by the participants? Yes. Athletic? Sometimes, but definitely not always. Sport? Absolutely not. The second you start talking about music performance as being fundamental to what defines the activity, you can stop talking about sport.

I agree with everything you say here. One could say that the foundation of drum corps is sport due to the physical and competitive nature. As you point out and has been proven throughout this thread, there is disagreement.

Give some examples of what you mean. Do you mean that the Green Bay Packers are losing this year because their yellow helmets are out of style and the refs don't like them?

Partly--see this year's Buffalo Bills unis (first two games anyway <**> ).

I argued that all sports contain artistic qualities, to which you responded with the above. Here's what I meant.

We see home runs described on sports pages as being "majestic," or a running back's way of elluding defenses as "a thing of beauty" or a pitcher's mastery of the strike zone "finesse." That's the parallel I was trying to draw, was that sports in our common descriptions and depictions often take on aesthetic qualities. Accomplishing these things in sports is a matter of determination and mastery of skills. I think it's the same in drum corps... you are given a set of things to accomplish on a field, and when you accomplish them, with the rest of your team behind (or with) you, it can be described as a "majestic" sound from the hornline; the precision with which the drumline played that lick was "a thing of beauty," and Phantom Regiment mastered their horn book with "finesse."

To those who say it isn't a sport, rather, it's art, would drum corps exist at its current level of excellence without competition? I would argue that it would not. The arts -- on stage, in galleries, etc. -- are excellent in and of themselves as unrated expressions of an artist. Creations independent, though influenced, of outside aspects. Although the masses might not allow us to call drum corps sport -- I don't really care if they do or not -- how, other than saying "because it's music," is it closer to art than sport?

how, other than saying "because it's music," is it closer to art than sport?

Well, since the musical aspect of the activity cannot be removed...otherwise it ceases to be what it is....that question is virtually meaningless. Unless you can think of another sport that requires its participants to perform music. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. There are many sports with unique qualities...like throwing a ball into a basket, or hitting a small round stitched ball with a bat...but those unique qualities that separate them from other sports all require a specific athletic skill. The unique quality that separates our activity from other recognized sports is that the participants are required to perform music and interpret it visually at the same time. Immediately, the discussion switches from the genre of sport and it goes into the genre of the arts-- more specifically, music and dance/choreographed movement. For without those qualities, the activity no longer is what it is.

You used the term competition. It is probably the best term to apply to this activity, just as there are ballet competitions and silent drill team competitions, there are marching band competitions and drum corps competitions. It is competition-- a competitive art form, for sure. It is not a sport.

This has all been a stimulating discussion. I've said pretty much all I need to say about it and will leave my comments to stand on their own. I think I've presented my arguments clearly with good logic and respect towards others. Before I bow out of this discussion altogether, I want to make it known that because I don't consider drum corps a sport, it does not in any way diminish my love of the activity or my respect for everyone involved, whether they think its a sport or not. I appreciate the opportunity to voice my opinion on this matter...