Senior Corps, a few questions

Hi you guys! I am thinking about marching senior corps. I have a few questions.

Since I am visually impaired, would they be able to accomidate me on tour?

Do they feed the members?

Do you guys sleep on the floor?

Do they provide host families to younger members during the summer?

Thanks you guys!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senior corps does not tour, to begin with. Whether or not a corps regularly will feed their members depends on the corps, and depends on your definition of "feeding" its members. Most don't have a kitchen truck like in touring DCI corps, again for the reason that DCA corps do not tour. Everything is on the weekend. Some corps will stay on gym floors on a longer weekend trip, some prefer to have their members put themselves up in a local hotel. Again, it all depends on the corps you march with. I know my rookie year with the Buccaneers, the Bucs, Brigs, and Bushwackers all shared the gym floor together at some school in South Jersey one night. Host families... I don't think there are too many people in DCA who are in a corps that is so far away from their home that they'd require a host family. My years in corps, the majority of people were between 1 and 2 hours drive, and the max was about a 6 hour drive with a lot of carpooling going on.

Hope that helps.

PS... My suggestion is to find the nearest DCA corps and find out how they handle things for their particular season. The answers you recieve could really vary dramatically from corps to corps.

Edited by DrumCorps21

ah my sweet young tymp player... it's Tom Peashey, your OLD chief judge friend...

I'm certain you would be completely at home with any corps... If you can't tour, either of the Atlanta corps would be a great opportunity for you. I'm certain you would be most welcome... believe me, staying in hotels is a lot nicer than gym floors. It's all a matter of what your personal schedule will allow... As for food, many corps do provide food on show day so as not to disrupt the timing of rehearsal but for the most part... you have to pay for your own food...

to make up for this, fees are MUCH less...

On the other hand, if you are still interested in a touring corps, I know many junior corps would be thrilled to have you.

One thing is certain in drum corps, wherever you go - you'll be most welcome and have a great time.

Hi you guys! I am thinking about marching senior corps. I have a few questions.

Since I am visually impaired, would they be able to accomidate me on tour?

Since the only travel for senior corps happens during weekends, all you have to do is show up at the rehearsal site or where the buses leave from and you'll be fine.

Do they feed the members?

When I marched Empire Statesmen, the corps did offer lunch for those who wanted it, usually $3-$4 per person. Some people packed their own cooler full of stuff and did their own lunch thing.

Do you guys sleep on the floor?

I only slept on the floor on rehearsal weekends because so many people were staying at the house I stayed at. That and one night in 2002 when we had back-to-back shows in one weekend and the corps spent the night at a community college. DCA Finals means you stay in a hotel in a bed and, if you make your reservations early enough, you get a room with a hot tub, perfect for helping get rid of the muscle kinks after a long day of rehearsing and performing.

Do they provide host families to younger members during the summer?

Yes, they do. You won't leave rehearsal until they've found you a place to stay.

Thanks you guys!

You're welcome!

I think just about all the questions have been answered - wherever you end up, it will be with some great people, and they will take care of you, just like they make sure to take care of everyone else in their corps family.

Good luck choosing a new place to play - I don't think you can make a wrong decision.

One thing just came to mind. If you're below 18, some senior corps will not accept you unless you're marching with a relative. I'm not sure how old you are so I figured you might want to know to check on that before going to a corps rehearsal.

Yep, I am nineteen, so I don't have to worry there. My schedule is not a problem, it's just there are three junior corps that know they can accomidate, but two don't know if they will field DCI and one doesn't know if I would have a host family.

The good thing about DCA is you guys have a longer season, but I don't know what it would be like marching with a bunch of "old" people, lol!

I would need a host family that preferabley one parent stays home during the day, because when I am in an unfamiliar environment, I wouldn't know how to get food for myself and stuff. It's hard when you are totally blind at those times.

Allee

Tom Peashey again

email me please at tompeashey@seattlecascades.org

Drum corps is one of the best things I've ever done in my life. So I hope you can find a corps that will be a good fit for you. I have a sincere question for you now... please pardon my ignorance, but from your signature line, I'm assuming you're a soprano player. How would a a person with a visual impairment handle learning and performing drill, given its visual nature and the requirement of staying in formation?

Thanks!

Monica Ricci

Oh, that's okay. I am just a trumpet major in university. I play in the front ensemble for corps