Babies anyone?

Throwing Babies?

That's a new one on me. I've been around drum corps since I was born in '57.

Hmph! Must be a regional thing.

Most likely from the expression "(Don't) throw the baby out with the bath water." Very old European expression from when families shared the same bath water. It means to over-react in a way that appears appropriate for a given situation, but in doing so results in a loss of something valuable, or to be so concerned with one issue that you sacrifice something else.

In drum corps? I've heard instructors say it in reference to a part, usually a big hit, that the crowd will predictably go wild over - as in, jump to their feet & throw their babies and Rolex watches onto the field with reckless abandon. It would be fun to start a thread about the "Throw babies" moments you remember through the years.

we were warming up for the reading show this year and amongst the crowd was a guy with a wagon with 3 or 4 kids in it ages 4 and under I'd guess. so of course he manages to knock the wagon over and then there are 4 screaming kids because they all conked their heads on the sidewalk. so the joke was forget about throwing babies, they're bringing them by the wagon load for us!

we were warming up for the reading show this year and amongst the crowd was a guy with a wagon with 3 or 4 kids in it ages 4 and under I'd guess. so of course he manages to knock the wagon over and then there are 4 screaming kids because they all conked their heads on the sidewalk. so the joke was forget about throwing babies, they're bringing them by the wagon load for us!

:spit: b**bs

You almost had to by me a new monitor. That was funny.

I go back as far as the mid 70's. The term was regularly used then. But I seem to remember this was a favorite term of Ray Fallen back in 84 when describing what the fans "should" be doing if we ever did a good job. There might have been one or two shows.

:spit: b**bs

You almost had to by me a new monitor. That was funny.

I go back as far as the mid 70's. The term was regularly used then. But I seem to remember this was a favorite term of Ray Fallen back in 84 when describing what the fans "should" be doing if we ever did a good job. There might have been one or two shows.

you know, I always thought I had coined that phrase... by the way is that a freudian slip? "fallen" instead of fallon? must've heard about my accident (fell 14' and broke my back in Apr)

Kind of ironic that when people actually do bring babies to shows it just ends up pissing off everybody around them. So maybe this phrase was coined by someone who was praying somebody really would throw their baby! :P

Kind of ironic that when people actually do bring babies to shows it just ends up pissing off everybody around them. So maybe this phrase was coined by someone who was praying somebody really would throw their baby! :P

i have been luckey to not see babies at any shows i have been at or in. but it wouldn't be hard to imagine someone sitting next to a person with a babie hoping to god the parent would throw it so they could listen to the show in piece.