Babies anyone?

DCP Topic. So I posted this topic last night about the phrase "throwing babies" and I'm a little surprised to see that this is a wide-spread phrase that at least two people mention hearing as far back as the 70's. I figure more people who marched "back in the day" would read this in here, so I'd like your input....can anyone give years they were marching when they would hear this? I'm really curious how far back this goes.

(i hope i'm not offending board rules by posting in three forums, but I'm trying to get all-ages thoughts on this)

DCP Topic. So I posted this topic last night about the phrase "throwing babies" and I'm a little surprised to see that this is a wide-spread phrase that at least two people mention hearing as far back as the 70's. I figure more people who marched "back in the day" would read this in here, so I'd like your input....can anyone give years they were marching when they would hear this? I'm really curious how far back this goes.

(i hope i'm not offending board rules by posting in three forums, but I'm trying to get all-ages thoughts on this)

I marched in 27th Lancers from 1975 through 1980. I remember George Zingali (RIP) using this phrase all the time to accentuate that that crowd loved us with the connotation being that the crowd was so overwhelmed by our performance that they lost all rationality.

I miss those days :)

The first time I heard the expression was in 1979. We had just come off the field at Ottawa, Illinois after the show was delayed for a possible tornado. One of my friends in the line said something like, "Wow, I thought they were going to start throwing their babies in front of us tonight!" You can imagine what thoughts were going through this rookie's mind at the time. In 1983, the drum line I instructed kept a baby doll with a tension bolt through its head, (sorry for the graphic detail), in a little shoebox in the pit. I really didn't look in there until the last show--I thought it was just one of those tradition things. After I peered into the box, I thought, "Yikes!"

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

When I was bringing my babies to drum corps shows in the early 90's I would take them to the mens room to change their diapers then duck tape them to the cieling so that I wouldn't throw one of them near the end of the night : 0

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

I marched in 27th Lancers from 1975 through 1980. I remember George Zingali (RIP) using this phrase all the time to accentuate that that crowd loved us with the connotation being that the crowd was so overwhelmed by our performance that they lost all rationality.

I miss those days :)

You beat me to it, I first heard "throwing babies" from George Z when I marched 27 from '78 through '80.

I miss those days too John.

Lancer Fi

"Tut"

Edited by razorphone

I heard this phrase used all the time when I was a kid growing up in the Tennessee Walking Horse industry. The phrase was popular whenever there was a real exciting class at a horse show and the fans would get all excited and shout for their favorite horse. I guess I started hearing "they were so excited they started throwing babies and chairs and everything!!" about as early as the mid 60's.....or at least that is the earliest I can recall hearing it!! So, I hate to break it to you, but I don't think this phrase is "drum corps only".

Definitely in use by VK in 1985-1987. Also, during rehearsals on tour, sometimes those dandelion seeds "poofs" would fly through our corps. We would have great times running from them calling them (I think) "Mongolian Butt Fuzzies" and screaming--right in the middle of rehearsal. It was soooooooooo fun!!!! <<insert nerdy laughter>>

Sorry....anyway, yes, "throwing babies" was in effect in VK in the mid 80's.

The voice of the San Diego Padres, Jerry Coleman once said:

"If Rose's streak was still intact, with that single to left, the fans would be throwing babies out of the upper deck."

Coleman was a former Yankee from the 1940's and a lot of his quotes were credited to Yogi.

I always preferred "My Panties" as the item that the audience was going to throw at us. That was mainly in Scouts but we say it in Brass too, lots of Scouts and other corps alums.