DCI Finals Rotation

DCI Finals Rotation  

197 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Finals Rotation - Where should it go?

• Madison
    • Denver
    • Buffalo
    • Orlando
    • California
    • Texas
    • Tennessee
    • Other

Not smelling Lake Erie while watching drum corps.

Hey now! Lake Erie is not nearly as gross as it was years ago! You can safely swim in there without contracting fatal diseases. And you can't smell it while on land. Or maybe I'm just used to it.....

Another reason Cleveland would be fun is because all the people coming from out of town could visit the Rock and Roll hall of fame! It's right next door to the stadium.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my vote for a 'rotation:'

* Madison

* Denver

* Buffalo

* San Antonio

I agree 100 percent.

Seriously San Antonio is not that hot. For my fifth I would throw in California. Don't know where, but somewhere.

Year 1: Madison

Year 2: Madison

Year 3: Madison

Year 4: Madison

Year 5: Denver

Orlando: never, ever again. Absolutely the worst finals week I've ever been to, what with crappy weather and crappy housing. Would have been crappy rehearsal facilities too had it not been for a stroke of luck.

Madison

Denver (very pleasant)

Buffalo (if its not as hot as it was last time)

Cali (give the West Coast there turn)

Finals in Orlando would be an awful thing. That was probably the worst drum corps experience of my life. Having fire ants crawl up your leg during rehearsal blows. And it's just gross there.

This may be the first time EVER I've someone complain about Buffalo's weather being too sunny/hot!!!!

I love Madison -- but the mosquitoes were/are HUGE!!

I marched 1991 in Dallas ... it was hot on the Cotton Bowl field at times, but it was also very rainy that week.

Basically -- the weather can suck anywhere/anytime (well, maybe not San Diego) ... insects/bugs and creepy-crawlies live everywhere ... this is about the fans -- what cities create the best opportunity for the most fans to be able to get to DCI Finals now and again.

BTW -- Kansas City would be great, but I've heard the team/stadium won't do it ever again since they torn up the turf. Anyone else ever hear anything

I always enjoy that statement ... Denver is about as close to the west coast as Kansas City is to the east coast. B)

That may be true, but I dare say the percentage of not only corps but marchers and audience members from the east coast is much greater that those from the west coast. So, having a rotation of, say, Madison (Central time zone), Buffalo (Eastern), Denver (Mountain) and one other city, along with a wild card every fifth year (which could be California at least every other wild card) would put about percentages of DCI Finals sites about the same as the fan base.

They're NEVER going to be able to please everyone -- that's obvious if nothing else is -- but I think this is something they should seriously look at so people can plan more ... if I knew that the 2007 DCI Finals were going to be in California, I'd be more likely to go to Madison in 2006; if there were coming to my backyard (Buffalo) in 2007, I likely wouldn't go to Madison in 2006.

BTW -- Kansas City would be great, but I've heard the team/stadium won't do it ever again since they torn up the turf. Anyone else ever hear anything

Kansas City had astroturf in 88 and 89, but installed grass for Joe Montana in the 90s. I'm sure the grass issue is part of the reason DCI hasn't returned.

It's kind of funny, because I normally woujldn't say anyhting about Buffalo and it's temperatures...I remember, however, that when we were out there, it was record highs in buffalo. I know at least 2 of the days (where we were staying) were over 100 degrees. and even when we went to Niagra Falls on the Canadian side after we had finished competing it was 103 degrees. It was quite the hot and humid time.

CHICAGO CHICAGO CHICAGO...

Soilders Field....

Dream come true.... but the parking around the parking at the stadium suck... most of the parking is underground.... and not much room for corps to park... no where to warmup..unless you warmup on the beach or near the museum... or in the middle of the street. and it's always traffic downtown. Nice stadium....bad location.