Do Corps compete aginst other corps?

i was thinking about this based upon what soemone said in the scores too high thread...

are corps scores relative to other corps, or to the sheets?

just tossing this out there too see what people have to say.... no fights please, only intelligent comversation...

Both are part of the process.

Corps are rated, placed on the scoring scale using the criteria on the back of the sheet, and ranked, determining the order of finish (first to last) and spread between units, i.e. how many tenths.

Edited by Jeff

Although the corps are JUDGED AND SCORED against the sheet,

they are usually COMPETING against other corps.

Technically it's against the sheets. But I'm sure judges consider what numbers they gave to other corps when determining what number to give a certain corps.

In other words, "I gave the red team x.0 score earlier tonight, and the blue team had a slightly better performance so the blue team gets x.2 score from me"

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The judge will use the description on the sheet to place a corps in a box(box 1-5) in each subcaption. That box will give him a number range that the corps will fall in.

He/she will then evaluate the corps compared to others who he placed in the same box and decide where in that narrow range the two corps belong.

For example:

Judge John Doe is judging brass performance at a show. He's evaluating the Hoboken Blue Scouts. Looking at the description on the back of the sheets, he decides that the corps should be placed in Box 4 in the technique subcaption. That subcaption is worth a potential 10 points, so that means the score will fall somewhere between a 6.0 and an 8.0. Using his experience as a judge, he decides they're a relatively strong Box 4, so that'll narrow it down further to something between 7.0 and 8.0. Now he'll look at the other corps at the show and try to determine an accurate spread between the corps on that were better and worse than them in that subcaption. He may have given a previous corps a 6.8, and feels that the Blue Scouts are about 4 tenths better, so he'll assign them a score of 7.2.

It's not an exact science, especially since the judge has to assign numbers before he's seen the corps to come later, but there is a process that allows the judge to come up with a number that will be somewhere in the ballpark of what another judge would award the same performance.

The corps are going for the points based on the sheets, competing with one's self so to speak.

There is competition among corps, but only within your "scoring area" for the season (pretty stable season to season). In 2005 the Crossmen and Colts were competing, but neither was competing directly against the Blue Devils or The Cadets. There might some some caption competition, using 2005 the Blue Coats drumline and maybe The Cadets drumline. The lines could have been close and beaten eachother on a given night, but the corps as a whole weren't close. Get my drift?

I compete against myself because there is nothing i can do to affect how well another corps will do. It isn't like football where you are in head to head competition. So I just worry about myself