Buffalo, NY

remember though, show sites are determined by that show's sponsor/coordinator and not DCI. Instead of petitioning, I would suggest you contact the show sponsor for this Buffulo show and discuss it with them. So instead of petitioning to remove it (and possibly taking away a fundraising opportunity for another group), petition to have it moved to a better location or something. They'll have to listen if corps decide not to sign up for that show due to safety issues.

True and thats what I would ultimately like.

Its just that some of these locations are less than adequate and I am sure that DCI has to inspect a show sight to determine if it is acceptable for their corps...

Does anybody know as to what criteria a show sight must pass to be allowed to host? I mean...It has to have a football field right? but what else do they really look for?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a say in this.

I was the guy working in the Parking lot for that show (the guy that came on the bus and welcomed everyone). I didn't have a say in the organization of the event, just a volunteer. I knew the minute I heard where the show was it was going to be bad, and even more so when I heard the size of the police force that was gonna be on hand. But from my perspective, there were no issues that anyone complained about nor where there any instances that Kevin mentioned that I saw. The local community was very receptive from what I could tell. People came over and were really interested, there were those who had to tell to stay a good distance away in order to not disrupt warm-ups and they respected that. Besides the fact that the area is actually the worse in Buffalo, it went VERY well. I know the stadium wasn't the best either, but it worked well for what the show coordinator was going for. If you have any more questions, I may be able to answer some.

I'll take a say in this.

I was the guy working in the Parking lot for that show (the guy that came on the bus and welcomed everyone). I didn't have a say in the organization of the event, just a volunteer. I knew the minute I heard where the show was it was going to be bad, and even more so when I heard the size of the police force that was gonna be on hand. But from my perspective, there were no issues that anyone complained about nor where there any instances that Kevin mentioned that I saw. The local community was very receptive from what I could tell. People came over and were really interested, there were those who had to tell to stay a good distance away in order to not disrupt warm-ups and they respected that. Besides the fact that the area is actually the worse in Buffalo, it went VERY well. I know the stadium wasn't the best either, but it worked well for what the show coordinator was going for. If you have any more questions, I may be able to answer some.

Up until last year I went to every show there. Took my parents and kids and never had a problem. It is not THE WORST area in Buffalo, I can take you there if you want to see it. That area where the stadium is isn't so bad.

Its just that some of these locations are less than adequate and I am sure that DCI has to inspect a show sight to determine if it is acceptable for their corps...

Does anybody know as to what criteria a show sight must pass to be allowed to host? I mean...It has to have a football field right? but what else do they really look for?

I really doubt that DCI inspects evey location that all the corps stay. There are plenty of horror stories out there, but this is drum corps. I remember staying as a YMCA that has beggers and drug pushers walking around. I can't remember where is was, but we were told not to leave the building for anything. We were bussed 30 minuets to the practice field, and I mean field, not the football type.

At least if you make SCV ( I wish you all the luck in the world) you get to stay in 5 star hotels, Right!!!! :P

Most, if not all regular season D2/3 shows are not sanctioned by DCI (not sure about the focus shows). They are put on and operated by the show sponsor/coordinator, and pay DCI a fee to bring judges out for the event... to my understanding. So the choice in a host stadium would also be up to those running the show.

Minimum requirements? Not sure if there are any or not. Good question though

I have two things to add to this one. First off, I'm curious where this show was? My corps participated in the buffalo show at Dunn Tire Park, and I know that's not the show being referenced, so where was it? Second, unfortunatly, this type of things happen in corps, its just something you gotta trust what people tell you and work through it the best you could. In denver for finals in 2004, we pulled up to this beautiful high school about a 10 minute drive from the stadium with a gorgeous overlook of the city below us. Than they told us that we were basically in the middle of a gang fight and that the school was safe, but not to be out at night and to mind our own business. We did, and there were no issues.

I think the Buffalo site is about the same as the Citrus Bowl in Orlando for safety issues. Can't say I like either & in both cases we always prohibited kids from "wandering". The site that finals was at in Buffalo was different, and was comparable to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough

If it wasn't safe at Dunn Tire Park, they wouldn't have had it there. Trust me, you were safe! Ralph Wilson Stadium is better for the BIG show but Dunn Tire Park is good for the smaller show. University of Buffalo has a nice stadium but the field is to far away from the stands. Marion, OH was rough too as was Butler. No problems anywhere.

There were two shows in buffalo. A division one show at dunn tire park. AND A DIV2/3 SHOW AT SOME GHETTO COMMUNITY ABOUT A MILE FROM THERE. We are not talking about dunn tire park, nor were we ever talking about that show. For a bunch of mostly white kids from the midwest and the west coast, getting thrown into a almost all African American community with the visual appeal of this one is almost maniacal. I was scared for my life at show mostly from the random people running around our warmup arcs, spraypainted houses, boarded up houses, houses with windows broken out. There were no decent shops or buisnesses within a mile of that site (a pretty safe bet that you are in a remotely band neighborhood in the middle of the city). If you would like me to take you out to this place just give me the money for the plane ticket and a bulletproof vest, and I will take you on a walk through this quaint little neighborhood in the ghetto.

My corps left the show site before the awards (which was rained out anyways). Talking to the people from other corps everybody was more than a bit edgy on the situation that they were in. This show site should be done away with.

I have another personal experience with this.

Me and a couple members of our snareline played for a local news show in the morning for a promo for the div1 show later that day. One of the main promoters of the two buffalo shows drove us back and forth from our practice site to the station. During the car ride he admitted that it was far less than ideal circumstances for a drum corps show. He made a couple of remarks on the diversity at the show, my favorite being "you guys were a couple of marshmallows in a cup of hot chocolate"

I dont want to sound racist at all on this site.

BUT!!!!

throwing a kid like me (I am a white kid from a small rural town) and 500+ kids from remotely the same background into a place where we feel threatened at every moment that we are there is stupid. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. If the kids are complaining that they don't feel safe then something should be done about it. BECAUSE THIS IS ABOUT THE KIDS...right? not so somebody who doesnt even know the facts can try to make us feel bad for commenting on a show THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

respectfully,

Lee Plummer

THE DIV. 2-3 SHOW WASNT AT DUNN TIRE HEITH IT WAS IN THE CITY AT A SMALLER VENUE!